Hate new job - what to do?

(8 Posts)
anonandanxious Sun 14-Jan-18 10:40:53

I've just started work in an office that is rife with politics, factions and 'strong characters' and I hate it. I could stick it out a bit longer but in my experience if this is the culture it won't usually get better. Am tempted to leave right away so I don't have to put it on my cv rather try a bit longer and job hunt. Problem is I had two fairly short lived recent jobs - both of which I loved and left for credible reasons. I could probably find supply or temp work to tide me over until I find something else but I am torn between going now and taking that risk or going later and having a really patchy record. Need sensible dispassionate advice!

OP’s posts: |
oneggshellsallthetime Sun 14-Jan-18 11:05:35

How long have you been there? I know I always 'hate' any new job in the first week - thinking 'ruddy Norah - huuuge mistake...' but from experience I know to allow time enough to re-evaluate and relax into it. Is there any chance that you're experiencing work culture shock and all the things you dislike have become magnified in your mind?

Re whether to jump ship or not I'm not the best person to advise. All you can do is weigh up the pros and cons. Prob been no help at all...

anonandanxious Sun 14-Jan-18 11:48:56

Ah no it's great to have some feedback!
Yes I know what you mean about the first week usually being hard and giving it time. It's just that this one seems to have an unusually toxic culture. I've already been reprimanded for picking things up too quickly and bitched about for moving furniture (under instruction) because it 'upset the balance'.
I suppose it would make a good short story...

oneggshellsallthetime Sun 14-Jan-18 19:51:05

Reprimanded for picking up things too quickly and moving the furniture.... ??? sounds a bit like they are defensive and territorial... and/or they think you might show them up! Hence the comments. It's all a way of putting you in your place, you upstart you! Sad, really sad...

daisychain01 Sun 14-Jan-18 20:41:37

There is no shame in putting "temporary assignments" on your CV, if you choose to give up on this shower of numpties and try some temporary work for a while. They must feel threatened to have a go at you for picking things up too quickly. Pathetic!

Struwwelpeter Tue 16-Jan-18 15:05:02

Get a new job quick and don't even bother mentioning the current one on future CVs.

lindali94 Wed 17-Jan-18 10:19:35

My advise, change your job if you can... because people's never change

anonandanxious Wed 17-Jan-18 18:00:19

I tend to agree. Am seeing my manager on Friday. Am really struggling to pick up the systems, it all seems a real muddle and the training is patchy (the person handling over is ploughing through a backlog and has shown me a couple of things but there is so much more I don't know). Continually feel incompetent and my face doesn't fit. Losing confidence by the day! I need to check terms and conditions but normally it's a week's notice on probation, isn't it? I'm guessing if I can be out before end of January I can omit from cv - last job ended as my site closed; manager from there will give me an excellent reference, as will the previous. Really thought I could stick this one out!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in