Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Did I blow up my chances?!!!

(6 Posts)
CreamyCoffee Fri 12-Jan-18 20:29:36

Ok, my phone just died on me after i had given every little details, ain't gonna do this all over again. In a nutshell, I love my job and has proven what I can do. Earlier this week, it was that time of the month and for some reason I felt absolutely sh*t , never happens to this extent, even seriously considered taking a day off, since I've started about 8 months ago, never been off sick. Anyway, at 9.20 am on Tuesday, my boss asks me to come to a meeting 9.30am, knew nothing about who was coming, topics, didnt have any details. I was sort of taken aback but went in. It lasted 1 hour and i literally said 2 short sentences, 1 to introduce myself and 1 to add details, and in fact it backfired, my boss had to argument to clarify my point. I was basically some sort of weird outsider in that meeting. There was another senior member who's at the same level as my boss there. So now im feeling really disappointed at myelf. I usually speak a lot more at meetings. Im thinking senior people are saying if a promotion comes along, they wont even consider me, given my abysmal performance at that meeting. I'm usually quite a confident person, but after that meeting it's like I had lost it and was not really myself. And it was still that time days after urghhh...not sure What im looking for but yeah

ajandjjmum Fri 12-Jan-18 20:31:45

I'd rather someone kept quiet in a meeting than spouted rubbish.

Might be worth speaking to your boss and saying that you felt you weren't able to contribute as much as you would have liked, due to the short preparation time?

CreamyCoffee Fri 12-Jan-18 21:33:08

In hindsight, it wasn't fair for my boss to even call me in for that last minute meeting, which was long planned for her. I'll just forget about it, hit the gym really hard tomorrow and go in Monday like the week gone was the best ever.

daisychain01 Sat 13-Jan-18 06:35:06

Think positively to the future, if they are so shortsighted as to only judge you solely in 1 meeting, then you're better off without them.

Even though you didnt think it went well, try to use it as a learning experience. Next time round, if you get pulled into a meeting with zero time to prepare, think about how you can buy yourself some time.

For example say openly (immediately after introducing yourself and before the meeting gets into full swing) I'd really appreciate it if I could have a brief summary about the purpose of today's meeting and what we need to achieve so I can contribute.

It'll put the onus back onto them and take the pressure off you!

Chewbecca Sat 13-Jan-18 11:20:13

Sometimes it is ok not to say much in a meeting, maybe you were brought in so you could gain info, not contribute, to avoid your mgr needing to relay the content to you after.

Iprefercoffeetotea Tue 16-Jan-18 07:59:45

You know the adage - it is better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? It really is ok to be quiet.

Great advice from daisychain though, will nick it for myself smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: