Talk

Advanced search

Not happy with duties, raise in review or leave

(12 Posts)
workproblem Fri 12-Jan-18 17:06:36

Name changed so as not to be identified grin

Typed out a long post and then though sod it get to the point - would you tell your employer during appraisal that you are looking for a new job because you are not happy with the duties being given - in the hope that they would stop giving you these duties. Or would you just hand notice in when a new job is found and not mention leaving to your employer in the review?

I really don't want to leave but my employer is continually expecting me to do tasks that I don't think I signed up for as part of my role. I've mentioned it a few times in quarterly reviews and they have just brushed it off.

They do value me as an employee so i'm not sure if they would change their expectations if they thought I would leave or if I would be shooting myself in the foot by more or less threatening to leave.

Any advice appreciated smile

Dozer Fri 12-Jan-18 17:08:27

I might raise concerns again, but personally wouldn’t threaten to leave: they haven’t listened so clearly the deal is you do the duties or leave.

workproblem Fri 12-Jan-18 17:17:33

Thanks Dozer, yes i'm thinking that is the case. Although i'm valued i'm not indispensable - its just a depressing thought having to look for something else really.

peachypetite Fri 12-Jan-18 17:20:08

If you have raised it and nobody is listening probably best to find something else and move on.

Dozer Fri 12-Jan-18 20:19:17

How long have you worked there? Any chance of an internal move?

Busterboo Fri 12-Jan-18 21:02:35

I raised concern in past role about the level/grade ofmy duties. My manager pointed to the last clause in contract. "Any other duties as required by manager" we probably all have that one.

They thought I was pushing it, I got out of extra duties due to personal circumstances, but my point that I could be asked to murder someone in the car park didn't go down well.

imnottoofussed Fri 12-Jan-18 22:25:56

Been there 4 years. Only a small company of 13 so no potential to change roles or anything. The role has become more sales based which is definitely not what I want to be doing. Job title is client team adviser and was more customer service and handling incoming enquiries for the first three years.

I expect my contract does say any other duties or similar.

When I've raised it they've said it's not really sales as it's customers we already have. But in my eyes upselling on every call and also being given lists of customers to contact for outgoing calls is definitely sales.

I'll start looking for a new job and also mention it again in my review when they ask if there is any part of the job I don't like. It's starting to become most of it that I don't like except the people I work withgrin

imnottoofussed Fri 12-Jan-18 22:27:03

Name change I'm the OP

Busterboo Fri 12-Jan-18 22:44:26

Sounds like a company getting sales without paying commission?

greendale17 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:48:30

Company of only 13 staff- I think just look for a new job and leave. Doubt they will change your role and room to progress is slim for a company that small.

Dozer Fri 12-Jan-18 23:14:02

grin “my point that I could be asked to murder someone in the car park didn't go down well”

OP I’d brush up the CV and network! perhaps the company is in difficult times so is becoming more “salesy”

peachypetite Sat 13-Jan-18 08:37:18

No harm seeing what else is out there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: