Talk

Advanced search

Career coaches? Anyone used them?

(5 Posts)
PassTheSatsumas Thu 11-Jan-18 18:04:02

Just that really - has anyone used one/got a recco for a good one (London)

I could use help in:
Cv, interview

Working out what I'd like from a job

Alternatively, if you think it's money for old rope, pls tell me why!

Thanks so much smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 11-Jan-18 23:50:30

I used one this time last year. Wanted to get out of freelancing.

She really helped me come up with a plan of action.

I only applied for 3 jobs and was offered interviews for 2 of them following her support on my CV & applications.

I identified getting recent senior experience on my CV was a priority. So I pitched to a freelance client to go PAYE into a senior role and they agreed, which is where I am now.

I would heartily recommend Sarah - www.careertree.org.uk. PM if you want to.

Good luck.

PassTheSatsumas Fri 12-Jan-18 08:32:46

Thanks Margot! V encouragingsmile

EBearhug Sat 13-Jan-18 01:31:10

Yes. I think it will help to know what you want to achieve first, so you know where you want to focus. (e.g. get a promotion, failing to get interviews with current CV, change of career to a different field.)

I was looking at things like what I value in a job (trust and mental stimulation are both high for me; others could have money, or hierarchical success, whatever,) and looked back through all jobs (even teenage Saturday jobs,) to pick out which aspects I was good at and enjoyed, and which I really didn't want. This helped build up an ideal job profile, which turned out to be not so different from what I already did, but with different people.

I got mine through my union, which meant I had a discount. Can't remember the name offhand, and I'm not checking at this time of night. The employee assistance programme at my current employer also offers careers counselling, but I haven't used it to know whe there you have to pay some or all of the costs yourself, nor the details of what you get.

PassTheSatsumas Sat 13-Jan-18 10:50:55

Thank you for your reply - do you think it helped you make a different decision about which job to take?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: