Can I tell boss I hate my job?

(8 Posts)
MrsWhirly Tue 09-Jan-18 13:22:19

I mean is it ever ok to tell your boss you don't like your job?

I find myself in an unusual position of for the first time in my life being unhappy at work.

In short I went for promotion last year, got it. Involved moving to a slightly different discipline, so starting a fresh. I am disappointed that there was no learning to be done from collegues - they barely speak. And my boss is hardly around apart from an hour 1:1 every fornight.

I feel I lack knowledge, experience and everyone is doing a better job than me. I have had some success in my year, but feel like I am waiting to be found out, it's all a front / no substance.

Can you ever really tell your boss you hate the job?

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 09-Jan-18 13:24:59

Just ask for a meeting and say what you've said here. confused You don't need to say "I hate my job" but you can still express frustration.

RatherBeRiding Tue 09-Jan-18 13:29:01

Whatever you do, don't say you hate the job. Even if you were planning on leaving you will still need a reference.

As Cheap says, explain that you feel you lack the necessary skills to be as effective as you would wish which you find frustrating, and ask what training opportunities and support are available to enable you to progress.

It's all in the wording!

daisychain01 Tue 09-Jan-18 19:44:28

Think of it this way .... What benefit is there in saying you hate/dislike your job? Your boss is unlikely to be able to wave a magic wand and make it different.

It is what it is - but you can make a list of realistic suggestions for improvement, which would include targeted training and any process improvements that could improve the service you and the team provide.

CharizMa Tue 09-Jan-18 19:48:43

Sounds like there's not training and you arent learning. Say that instesd. Sounds more proactive

MrsWhirly Tue 09-Jan-18 19:58:23

I think you're right, there is no learning.

I've been enrolled on a course, which is great but I feel very isolated because there is no opportunity to ask for advice or talk something through with collegues.

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Tue 09-Jan-18 21:16:59

Yes always say things in the positive not the negative

Lushmetender Wed 10-Jan-18 15:49:50

I have but that’s cos my boss hates his job too! Mega politics in the dept but I try to be constructive around the reasons why! I’ve said I want a move only appraisal form in next 6-12,months ( in parallel to looking for a new job of course)😬

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in