Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Maternity pay

(11 Posts)
Whiteandred Tue 02-Jan-18 20:00:24

Good evening all. I have been a reader of the mumsnet since pregnancy with my now 3 year old. There is an issue however where I couldn’t find a straightforward answer, please bare with me.

We are currently trying for a baby no 2 and I am also starting a job with a new employer. You probably know where I’m going with this; my question is after what time with the employer do I qualify for stat maternity pay? Now, I’ve read about being employed for 26 weeks before the 15th qualifying week. However I’m still tad confused. Is anyone able to explain to me with a reference to first day of period vs first day of work? I’m due to start my period exactly one week before my first day at work - if I was so lucky and got pregnant would I qualify?

We have been trying for a baby no 2 for over a year now and idea of having a break next month is something I would like but of course will go with it if necessary.

I would appreciate your advice girls!

flowery Tue 02-Jan-18 20:11:30

”I’m due to start my period exactly one week before my first day at work - if I was so lucky and got pregnant would I qualify?”

No. You need to wait a month, because if you fell pregnant your pregnancy would have “started” before you started working there.

ForgivenessIsDivine Tue 02-Jan-18 20:15:33

Yup.. if you are pregnant when you start you will get maternity allowance only.

Whiteandred Wed 03-Jan-18 10:36:44

Hello thank you for your time to reply! That’s what I’m thinking if my period starts week before my start date and assuming my ovulation is sometime halfway through my 32 day cycle. Technically I will not be pregnant on my start date (?) - am I right thinking that? And how to calculate the 26 weeks rule in my case?

flowery Wed 03-Jan-18 11:23:13

Yes, as I said you will technically be pregnant on your start date for the purposes of dates, as pregnancy is calculated from the first day of your last period. You stated your last period would have started a week before you start the job. So if you want SMP you need to wait until you've had a period at your new job before trying.

Whiteandred Wed 03-Jan-18 12:04:45

Thank you for your reply!

Whiteandred Sat 13-Jan-18 14:40:29

Hello again, my period appears to be late (not pregnant unfortunately this is how it’s been for a while now)
So I have decided to pick up this subject once again if you don’t mind. I would like to clarify this governmental rule I have mentioned in my first post 26 + 15 weeks. I my period starts on Monday AND my first day of work is also this Monday would that mean I still should go for it and try this month as I will be missing one week ? Hope it makes sense thank you all!

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 13-Jan-18 18:49:40

You need have been employed 1 week before your first day of last period to qualify for SMP. For calculation of SMP a 40 week pregnancy is used, 26 plus 15 is 41 weeks.

KadabrasSpoon Sat 13-Jan-18 19:21:38

As well as the above don't forget scans can also move your dates. My due date was moved a week which I knew was wrong but that's what was on the paperwork for maternity pay. Didn't matter in my case but might if you're moving job.

Ihatemarmite123 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:23:22

I think it depends on your job. In mine you have to have been there for 13 weeks to get occupational maternity pay. For smp you need to earn on average £113 per week during the 17-25th weeks of pregnancy

Ihatemarmite123 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:26:22

Just to clarify.... 13 weeks before getting pregnant

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: