To complain or let it go?

(10 Posts)
SpiderQueen Sat 30-Dec-17 01:19:04

Aibu to complain? I work shifts for a UK retailer - I asked a supervisor for a drink of water. We aren't allowed to leave stations during shifts without permission so I couldn't go myself to get it. I never normally ask for water but was feeling unwell on this occasion and extremely thirsty. They said OK, I never got said drink despite asking more than once. At the end of the shift, I asked if I could leave my station. Was told by a member of staff that I could. Got up and started to head off, only to be shouted back by another member of staff that I wasn't allowed to go because we still had a single customer in the store. There were two other staff members finishing at the same time and neither of them were called back. Just me. I returned to my station and sat doing nothing for nearly 10 mins (unpaid at this point) waiting for said customer. Eventually it was decided there was no customer and I was finally allowed to go (nearly 15 mins past my scheduled finish time). Aibu to complain to a manager on next shift?

I'm upset that A) I wasn't allowed a drink of water. B) That I was singled out and told to stay after being told by another member of staff I could leave whilst everyone else was allowed to go. C) I won't be paid for the last 15 mins!

OP’s posts: |
brizzledrizzle Sat 30-Dec-17 01:22:53

Let it go and take a bottle of water next time ?

LockedOutOfMN Sat 30-Dec-17 01:25:39

Personally, I would keep a private record of the date, time, people involved, any witnesses, etc. but not report this time. However, were it to happen again, I would report to HR and also mention this previous incident.

I agree with the PP who said to take water in future (or make sure you've had some before your shift starts).

ScreamingValenta Sat 30-Dec-17 01:30:56

I'm assuming you're not allowed to take bottles of water onto the shop floor - in which case, yes, I think you should complain. It was a reasonable request. Re. staying beyond your shift end time - what does your contract say about this? Is there a threshold after which you can claim overtime?

daisychain01 Sat 30-Dec-17 07:41:22

For 15 mins I'd let it go but I agree that you need to keep a record of this pattern of treatment.

I don't think it was unreasonable of them to need you to hold back if a customer was still there, they didn't need all colleagues to remain just for one customer, but you need to record whether it is always you they single out. If your other colleagues sometimes get asked to help with these ad hoc duties then it's fair do's.

s4nha Sat 30-Dec-17 07:43:05

If you are close to minimum wage then they are potentially breaking the law asking you to work unpaid overtime.

MrsPussinBoots Sat 30-Dec-17 07:49:06

In my experience most retail jobs will expect you to work the unpaid time before and after shift. I had one job which was paid 10-4 but we had to be there at 9:50 and didn't leave floor until 4:15.

But you are not unreasonable asking for water. Once you had permission, why couldn't you go and get it?

Bluelonerose Sat 30-Dec-17 07:49:44

Are you waiting for customers to leave before you could lock up?

I had similar they wanted us to lock the door at 9pm but then we still had to put cash away, lock up etc and it would be 9.15pm by the time we got out.
I asked them why I was being expected to work for free as surely after 9pm as I'm not being paid I'm not insured to be on the premises.

Of course head office kicked up a fuss but I stood my ground and pointed out I wasn't asking to be paid for not working just being told I was by managers.

They didn't pay us the extra but they said we could take a 15 minute break to make it up.

See what your contract says. Hth

s4nha Sat 30-Dec-17 10:30:35

Providing water is a legal requirement

Section 22 (subsection 1) of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 states

Drinking water

22.—(1) An adequate supply of wholesome drinking water shall be provided for all persons at work in the workplace.

(2) Every supply of drinking water required by paragraph (1) shall—

(a)be readily accessible at suitable places; and
(b)be conspicuously marked by an appropriate sign where necessary for reasons of health or safety.
(3) Where a supply of drinking water is required by paragraph (1), there shall also be provided a sufficient number of suitable cups or other drinking vessels unless the supply of drinking water is in a jet from which persons can drink easily.

TittyGolightly Sat 30-Dec-17 10:35:56

They said OK, I never got said drink despite asking more than once.

Can you explain this bit of your OP?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in