Part time after maternity

(10 Posts)
Jane3232 Fri 29-Dec-17 17:56:31

Following maternity leave I will return to a part time role. A new role. And not one I want to do. I loved my old full time job but going part time means a new role, team, manager and it’s pretty rubbish.

Can I refuse it ? Would the alternative be redundancy?

OP’s posts: |
Creasey31 Fri 29-Dec-17 19:02:50

You can refuse it but as they can refuse your job back part time if they don’t have a part time role you want, I don’t think you would even get redundancy. Try the role might be the making of you x

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 29-Dec-17 19:05:26

I think the rule is that they have to offer you a role on the same Ts & Cs as you left on but they don't have to give you your old role back. So for example The same grade, same total hours, company car etc.

Have you asked to go part time and this is the role they've offered you?

Jane3232 Fri 29-Dec-17 19:36:42

Yes exactly that Holly. Part time requested and granted but in a new role only.

Natalies85 Fri 29-Dec-17 19:46:41

Hello Jane, what do you do for a living? Is there are reason why your existing role can't be done part time? You have a right two rights here: one is the right to return to the same job on the same terms after pregnancy and the other is for your company to consider a reasonable request for part-time hours. So, if for example your existing job could perfectly easily be adjusted you could have a case for constructive dismissal/ discrimination on the grounds of maternity/ pregnancy. There has to be a legit reason for them to not give you your old job on reduced hours - for example if you are the only receptionist and they need someone 9-5 on all 5 business days. I work for a company where 3 directors and 5 senior managers (about 20% of the overall leadership team) work part time. Flexible working is just the norm because it comes from the top, its a cultural thing. But the experience of many of my friends has been that there business can't conceive of how part time work is compatible with being productive - usually firms lead by men whose wives became housewives when kids arrived. It's not ok!

Jane3232 Fri 29-Dec-17 21:33:28

I work for a big Corp so yes plenty of senior males. I was told my lovely old job cannot be done part time. I put in a request for a 3 day week on my return and it was appproved and they ‘found’ me this new (crappy) role.

Same terms and benefits just a role I’d never apply for in a million years so I feel it’s an old job 5 day week, this job on 3 days or nothing.

Talk about demotivated returning mother!

Natalies85 Fri 29-Dec-17 21:40:57

Do you believe the old job could be done in 3 days, perhaps if you had someone assisting? How long were you on mat leave? If it’s nine months or less you have a right to the same position not just the same terms/ benefits.

Jane3232 Fri 29-Dec-17 21:44:34

It’s a 5 day week job but yes if they gave me support it could easily be split out. Especially as there’s a team reshuffle happening anyway.

I’ve been away 12 months.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 29-Dec-17 21:47:33

How often do p/t roles come up? Could you do this new role and look to apply for something better/different in due course?

I think you have to think very hard about what’s more important to you right now - the part time hours or the specific role. And there’s no right or wrong answer here. It’s just about what’s right for you, right now.

DumbleDee Wed 28-Feb-18 21:28:52

You asked for a part time role and were given it? If you refuse you would still have the option of returning to your previous role or work of a similar nature. If you don't accept either you would be basically opting not to return after Mat leave

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in