Aibu to go sick the busiest weekend of the year?

(12 Posts)
1Vandal Wed 20-Dec-17 18:03:03

Basically my grandma I was extremely close to died last week and I didn't take a day off or anything to process it.
I work for a large supermarket in one of their convenience stores as a supervisor. I was in today and as every day since then I was dealing with that lump in your throat and tears trying to break out and eventually admitted defeat and spent an hour solidly crying before I went home early.
I think the absolute last person asking me if j was ready for Xmas and have a merry one really tipped me over the edge.
Their official policy is only three days off which includes the funeral paid which won't be till halfway through the month next year.
I can't afford to take anymore time of it unpaid due to bills etc.

OP’s posts: |
DewDropsonKittens Wed 20-Dec-17 18:05:26

You have to put yourself first

Scrumptiousbears Wed 20-Dec-17 18:11:36

Personally I wouldn't. Sick is sick and you are not sick. You need to take the correct leave for the situation you find yourself in. What other policy's are there? Companionate leave? This maybe an option.

1Vandal Wed 20-Dec-17 18:13:43

Compassionate leave is the three days referred to above.

sparechange Wed 20-Dec-17 18:16:58

Sorry for your loss thanks

Does it have to be taken in one block?
Could you take 2 days now as compassionate leave and then one day plus a day of holiday for the funeral?

I really empathise. It's becoming the norm for a big gap between the death and funeral and the standard compassionate leave policies weren't set up to reflect it

1Vandal Wed 20-Dec-17 18:51:41

No it doesn't have to be taken in a block. Three days really just isn't enough. Used all my annual leave too.

Mehfruittea Wed 20-Dec-17 18:56:05

Compassionate leave in most companies is around 3 days. The realities for most people experiencing a loss is very different. A company can’t create a one size fits all policy for bereavement. If anyone needs more than 3 days off, then it is sick. If you don’t feel able to work because you are grieving, your GP will give you a sick note. This is not dishonest or playing the system. It’s the only way to make sure each person gets the level of support they need as an individual.

I’m sorry for your loss, please be gentle to yourself and take the time you need. See your GP. flowers

Hauntedlobster Wed 20-Dec-17 18:59:25

What is your sickness policy? Bereavement can very easily become stress or depression. See your GP and take care of yourself.

Meh gave a good, full answer.

ParadiseCity Wed 20-Dec-17 19:01:29

Yy to Meh. I have had sick note from gp with 'bereavement reaction'. Sorry for your loss.

Scrumptiousbears Wed 20-Dec-17 19:19:17

We have bereavement and compassionate. They are separate. None of the days have to be taken consecutively. That doesn't make sense as it's standard to expect some days off after death and one for the funeral. Bereavement leave is often used for people who have to take time off to make necessary arrangements at which point these will not be consecutive.

1Vandal Thu 21-Dec-17 18:11:53

Thank you for the advice, I went to the doctor and she signed me off for two weeks.
Hoping the rest and plenty of cat cuddles will help.

ParadiseCity Sat 23-Dec-17 22:01:44

flowers Vandal
Well done. It is not easy but I am glad you have space to grieve xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in