Am I right to be worried?

(9 Posts)
Candelabar Thu 14-Dec-17 10:48:20

I got a job offer subject to checks and references on the 23 November. They knew I'd be moving country in order to start this job. It's now the 14th and I was informed that all my references were in, as was my clear DBS. And I still have no conditional offer or start date. My boss is pressuring me to resign because of the time of year and is getting pissed off at me.

Am I right to be concerned here? I am sure my references are good, but there may be an issue with my sickness record. In my previous (not this) job I was off for 2 months. I know the reference disclosed that as I've seen the reference. I'm getting pretty worried they are going to withdraw the offer.

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 14-Dec-17 10:53:18

I would speak to HR and get it sorted asap...get a bit pushy. At worst they'll tell you there's no job but at least you can tell your own boss then!

molifly Thu 14-Dec-17 10:53:59

Have you rang them to see what the delay is?

Don't resign from your job until you have an offer or a contract, it sounds like maybe they aren't taking on for the role anymore.

Candelabar Thu 14-Dec-17 11:13:27

They haven't given me a reason, just that references haven't been signed off yet.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 14-Dec-17 11:20:16

I definitely wouldn't resign until they've confirmed - I'm wondering if they've run out of budget/changed their mind about needing the role or something. Hopefully not; but it wouldn't be the first!

Have you got a back up plan? If you've already told your current boss, will it be too awkward to stay if this falls through?

Candelabar Thu 14-Dec-17 11:30:58

Yes, it would, and I think they were going to make me redundant (would be entitled to nothing) hence the pressure. I have no back up plan but I'm going to apply for new jobs.

BettyBaggins Thu 14-Dec-17 11:32:37

I think DBS checks can take some time too.

Candelabar Thu 14-Dec-17 11:53:09

Right,, posting this gave me a kick up the bum to ring, start date is mid January, off to hand my notice in!

Mxyzptlk Thu 14-Dec-17 11:56:14

Great news!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in