As an experienced accountant how long a handover would you need?

(6 Posts)
Moanyoldcow Wed 13-Dec-17 20:38:04

I'm heading on mat leave early in the new year and have appointed a fab, very experienced maternity cover.

I'm just wondering how long a handover period she needs - I don't want her to feel like she's been left at sea but equally don't want to smother a very capable woman.

I'm finding it hard to judge as I've never actually had a handover longer than a day myself.

Covering monthly accounts, payroll, pensions, banking etc - standard finance responsibilities.

Any advice much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Tangoandcreditcards Wed 13-Dec-17 20:40:41

I've done this both ways. (2 X mat leave and returns). Depending on the complexity of the business. I'd say at least 2 weeks, and preferably over a month end cycle.

Stinkbomb Thu 14-Dec-17 12:55:03

Depends on your software and procedures - mine is very complex so needed 2 month end cycles (bespoke software, reporting in a different country in their language etc), but if you used a standard software then over one month end cycle should suffice.

Moanyoldcow Thu 14-Dec-17 13:31:33

Thank you everyone. It's very straightforward standard systems and a newly implemented and clean COA.

I've just had a meeting with my cover and she seems really positive so we've got a plan in place for a three week handover period in the new year which will cover a payroll run and a month end as well.

Thanks for the input.

Kazzyhoward Thu 14-Dec-17 13:36:57

I'd say it depends on what working papers, procedural manuals and systems you have in place. If you've got your work documented, then in theory, no changeover period is needed - your replacement should be able to walk in and carry on, just following your documentation etc.

However, if it's basically all in your head rather than written down, you need to go through at least a full cycle where you do everything "together" at least once.

Moanyoldcow Thu 14-Dec-17 13:40:55

It's a combination of the two Kazzy - some of the important stuff is well documented (Payroll, Management Accounts) but things like childcare voucher reconciliations and stuff are all in my head so yes, I'll need to go through them with her for sure.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in