Redundant as maternity leave begins... should I still accrue paid annual leave?

(5 Posts)
Pinky333777 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:24:36

I'm due to be made redundant the day my maternity leave begins.
My employer will still pay me SMP plus redundancy pay owed.
I was wondering if I should still accrue paid holiday while on maternity leave?
Or would that no longer apply, as technically I'll no longer be employed?

I initially had assumed the redundancy would kick in after my maternity leave rather than before 😐

Thanks for any advice x

OP’s posts: |
Pinky333777 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:09:36

?grin

OP’s posts: |
Madcats Wed 13-Dec-17 11:29:07

What bad timing. My firm wanted to relocate/close our department a month before my maternity leave started. They decided not to discuss redundancy with me until just before I was due to return (so I accrued holiday pay etc). I'm not sure that it was a legal requirement, though.

Have a look at this:
www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant/discrimination-during-maternity-leave-and-on-return-to-work/?doing_wp_cron=1513163869.4919939041137695312500

It is worth giving them/ACAS/Citizens Advice a call just to confirm whether what you have been told is legal. 28 days holiday pay is quite a bit of money.

RicStar Wed 13-Dec-17 11:36:39

Unfortunately no as you will not be employed you will not accrue holiday.

GingersMammy Mon 01-Jan-18 12:40:47

My thinking was no you wouldn't, as theoretically you are selling your contract back to them and severing all responsibilities of both parties.

You should ask for a breakdown of exactly what your final payment will include and then you could of course negotiate from there. Perhaps ask "as a goodwill gesture, how about adding on the holiday pay, as you would definitely have come back after maternity leave ".

I've also got a feeling that legally they are not supposed to make a person redundant during or immediately prior to maternity leave. So look into that, it may give you another bargaining lever.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in