Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound like an unconditional or conditional offer letter?

(9 Posts)
Mummypig09 Mon 11-Dec-17 09:50:36

Hi,
Last week I was offered a job which allows me to work from home as the whole company operates remotely. This has been something I've desperately needed due to a disability which has made office based employment very difficult. I received an offer letter and am wondering whether this would be classed as conditional or unconditional (from my understanding unconditional offers can't be withdrawn - but I might be totally wrong) my concern is, my last employer will be required to give a reference including sickness and absence etc and I'm worried this could have an impact on my job offer.
I've pasted below what the offer letter said (minus personal info) - I responded in email that I accepted the role.

If anyone could shed some light I would be grateful!

Offer of Employment

Further to our recent interview, I am writing to confirm our offer of employment as follows:

Job Title:
X
Salary:
X
Employment Basis:
Full Time

Please find attached a draft Contract of Employment should you choose to accept this offer of employment.

Can you please advise by return to confirm whether you accept the offer of employment.

I look forward to your response and hopefully working with you in the future

Caulk Mon 11-Dec-17 09:55:39

IME if it’s conditional they say that the offer is subject to certain conditions - references, DBS, health check etc.

It looks unconditional to me.

Spam88 Mon 11-Dec-17 10:17:59

Agree with caulk that it would usually say subject to references, DBS or whatever. But then if it's not conditional why would they even bother with references? 🤔

Mummypig09 Mon 11-Dec-17 10:58:30

Thanks both for your comments, Spam88 - that's what I thought!

Candlelight234 Tue 12-Dec-17 18:43:19

It's doesn't say anything about it being conditional. My recent offer said 'offer subject to background checks'. I then rang them and asked them to email me exactly what the background checks were.

Mummypig09 Thu 14-Dec-17 07:14:23

help!! My referee put in their reference about my time off which is going to look extensive (however is down to my disability) and was caused by living off 2-4 hours broken sleep each night because I was "on call" I feel like I need to firefight the situation is there anything I can do? I only know about this because an ex-colleague in HR told me (very unprofessional - I know)

Misstomrs Thu 14-Dec-17 07:19:43

Honestly you need to speak to your new line manager / HR / whoever you have been in contact with and explain. I work in HR so know how important honesty is. I recently changed jobs after mat leave and explained that my reference would have high sickness because I had HG. It would have been better if you had contacted them first but if you just let the reference go without contacting them it looks like you’re hoping they won’t notice
Good luck

FluffyWhiteTowels Thu 14-Dec-17 07:21:44

Maybe wait and see if anything is mentioned by new employer. You'll be on probation period anyway. Or if mentioned tell them it was due to difficulties in accessing the workplace which is why you were seeking working from home.

Hope it all turns out ok

Mummypig09 Thu 14-Dec-17 07:45:48

Thanks both, I'm meeting my new manager today to pick up my IT equipment, do you think I should mention it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now