Talk

Advanced search

Writing rather than face to face?

(6 Posts)
Dailystuck71 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:42:24

I need to get some things off my chest at work. I need to speak with my director but he’s got a good way of turning things around so you end up talking about something unrelated, then walking away without saying what you need to say.

I am not going to berate the company but I am being taken advantage of and I am now being asked to take on more work which I am just not able to do.

Is it ever acceptable to write rather than speak? I just can’t do it anymore.

Dailystuck71 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:43:47

Plus if I speak face to face, I’m just going to end up in tears.

ceeveebee Thu 07-Dec-17 18:45:46

I have done this recently - I knew I would cry if I did it face to face so I wrote an email to my boss and asked to have a follow up meeting to discuss. It went well actually as was able to put all my points down in a calm and rational way and then have the face to face a couple of days later. Hope it goes well

BritInUS1 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:48:19

If one of my staff have an issue I would much rather they wrote to me so at least I am aware than say nothing at all x

Dailystuck71 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:48:32

Thanks. I need to do a well written email or letter but pause for breath a bit first.

EBearhug Thu 07-Dec-17 18:49:10

Oh, I often start with a mail. Fortunately my director admits to being a mail-junkie. He can still divert the answer from subjects he's less keen to discuss when he's minded, though. It's just easier for me to copy that bit of a mail and ask him to focus on that.

I give him quite a hard time, but he seems to enjoy the unexpected questions I ask. There are other managers I would have to be more formal with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now