Advanced search

I probably don't stand a chance but...

(6 Posts)
Rachyabbadabbadoo Wed 06-Dec-17 21:28:30

I'm leaving my current position after 8 years with the company. I have in writing (email from CEO) that they would pay 7.5% of my salary into a pension one year after I started. Unfortunately, one year after I started they made lots of redundancies and cost savings to keep the business afloat, so it didn't seem the right time to pipe up about my pension (that just autocorrected to penis... lucky I spotted that one!).

The CEO is no longer with the business.

So, my starter for ten is do I stand any chance of getting my pension contributions now I'm leaving? I'm guessing as I didn't follow it up, the answer is no. I feel a right dafty now, but at the time (recession) I was rather terrified of losing my job.

Any advice much appreciated!

Rachyabbadabbadoo Thu 07-Dec-17 07:13:06


grumpysquash3 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:56:36

Why didn't you query it 7 years ago when the payments were due?

Rachyabbadabbadoo Sat 09-Dec-17 14:17:11

I forgot. I guess as you only get an annual statement it's an easy thing to miss. I did get some legal advice and apparently the onus is on them to sort it out, and not for me to chase.

flowery Sat 09-Dec-17 15:15:40

”I did get some legal advice and apparently the onus is on them to sort it out, and not for me to chase.”

Seems rather short sighted advice! Yes of course it’s your employer’s responsibility to pay it but unless the martyrdom/moral high ground is what you’re after, of course the onus is on you to chase your employer if you actually want the money! Just because the CEO wrote that to you doesn’t mean payroll have been notified or whatever! Yes they should have been, but if something’s gone wrong, you don’t just sit there and hope!

Your argument would be breach of contract, you’d say the written confirmation from the CEO forms part of your terms and conditions.

Expect them to resist it, so long after the event, but worth trying so I suggest you write ASAP requesting payment and enclosing a copy of the relevant letter.

hevonbu Sat 09-Dec-17 17:58:57

Maybe hire a solicitor?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: