Talk

Advanced search

Taken job away

(3 Posts)
IdlyWondering Mon 04-Dec-17 20:39:08

I'm wondering if anyone can advise

If my employer offered me a new role, confirmed it was mine, discussed start date but hadn't yet received my contract...... and then told me the job wasn't mine anymore right before it was anticipated I was going to start. Can they do this?

I don't think I'll be doing anything formally about the fact they've done this but I wondered if a verbal confirmation was good enough that the job was mine - or did it have to be in writing? Given that they intended to give me the job, can they just take it away (internal move)?

No performance issues, no redundancies or anything like that - they just gave it to someone else. DH said they can't do this. I said I hadn't signed the contract yet.....

Anyone had this happen to them?

daisychain01 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:13:50

Not illegal, but it's a completely shit thing to do to an existing employee.

What was their exact reason for withdrawing their verbal offer? How did they tell you - in person, verbally? Are you certain they did actually tell you the job was your's, as in "you start on Monday xxx December, as a xxx role on yyy salary"

Have they done anything since to redress the situation? Presumably your current line manager knew about the change and you will continue in your current role under the same To and Cs of employment?

IdlyWondering Mon 04-Dec-17 21:32:44

They recruited someone else with more experience - that's it.

Yes, certain on a start date being given with role and training.

I'll stay in my current role with the same T&C's - I'm not out of a job or anything which is why I say I'm unlikely to actually do anything about it - but DH is adamant it's illegal whereas I wasn't sure so thought I'd ask!

But you're right - a completely and utterly shit thing to do!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now