Talk

Advanced search

Temporary change of work place

(11 Posts)
Whisperingstories Mon 04-Dec-17 13:20:21

Hi,

My son has just rang me telling me his employer wants him to work in Leeds next week for two days, as the branch there is short staffed.

We're in Manchester. His employer will pay for a hotel and train fare. But he doesn't want to go.

He explained this to his manager, but she has told him that he has to go, and that he has no option.

I'm just wondering whether this is right or not.

WipsGlitter Mon 04-Dec-17 13:51:52

It depends on his contract I'm guessing.

And the obvious question... why doesn't he want to go??

dantdmistedious Mon 04-Dec-17 14:36:19

Most contracts hav me something in them about altering place of work.

Why doesn't he want to go?

Queeniebed Mon 04-Dec-17 14:44:53

What does his contract say? Most usually put in something about a change in location. If he agreed to it (by signing the contract) and they will pay for expenses he has no choice.

I dont want to go to work some mornings (whats a lie-in again?) but we all have to suck it up

How old is he?

flowery Mon 04-Dec-17 14:59:41

For two days? Yes I'd imagine he has to do this, he should check his contract.

Excuse my geography and do correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not actually that far from Manchester to Leeds, is it? Sounds pretty good that his employer is paying for a hotel rather than expecting him to do a longer commute for the two days.

katmarie Mon 04-Dec-17 20:05:25

Not an unusual request and they're willing to cover costs, so unless the contract he has with him employer has specific wording on this, I'd say it's a reasonable request. As pp said, why doesn't he want to go?

NerrSnerr Mon 04-Dec-17 20:07:11

As others say it depends what is in his contract. Why doesn’t he want to go?

Auspiciouspanda Mon 04-Dec-17 20:12:06

I bet his contract states 'could be required to work from alternative work place'.

It's not that far away so unless he's got a medical condition, previous plans or children I think he's unreasonable to refuse.

And you don't get promotions or pay rises by not refusing to do reasonable things.

ilovesooty Mon 04-Dec-17 23:46:28

I agree with flowery
He's very fortunate that a hotel is being paid for. The two cities are not exactly very far apart.

Whisperingstories Tue 05-Dec-17 08:36:08

To answer Queeniebed - he has just turned 21.

Firstly I've just found out it is this week that his employer wants him to go this Thursday, I thought it was next Thursday.

To cut a long story short. He has worked at this branch before and hated it.

It is a national restaurant chain (not fast food). This branch in Leeds is having management issues, and has for a while. It has two managers and a supervisor who are all refusing to work evenings.

This has been on going for 6ish months. They keep on having staff from other branches go down to cover the evening shifts. I would love to know how they afford it, last time my son was there it was for four days and the hotel they put him in cost them £248).

Because of such disruptions within the store the staff are not exactly the most welcoming bunch of people, nor do they like someone coming in telling them what to do.

Where he works, my son is a supervisor, but they send him there to manage the place. Last time he was there one of the staff didn't like being told what to do and squared up to my son, threatening him, so he sent him home.

Personally I've told him showing willing to go and help out will help further his career, but I get the feeling he feels out of his comfort zone, he is a supervisor, and not had any management training and that the last incident unnerved him a bit.

I also feel it has something to do with being told and not asked if he will go. His manager (Manchester store) handed him an envelope with train tickets and hotel details to him yesterday and told him this is for Thursday as your off to Leeds again, without any prior warning.

Anyway Thank You all. I just was just wondering if his place of work could make him go.

LIZS Tue 05-Dec-17 08:38:29

He needs to check his contract but usually in the retail sector there are mobility clauses which mean you can be deployed elsewhere within a geographic area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now