Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

I’m pregnant and working in a nursery is constantly making me ill

(10 Posts)
Adeleo1 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:30:54

I’m almost 6 weeks pregnant and have been ill during most of my pregnancy due to the fact I work in a nursery. Before I started working there I hardly ever got ill but since I started I’m always ill, I havnt been there long but have already had tonsillitis twice, numerous sore throats, diarrhoea and vomiting, and fevers. The days are long and I feel I don’t get much rest as your always on your feet working in a nursery, I’m scared this is going to effect my baby and I’m not sure what to do? I’m tempered to just put my notice in but I don’t know what’s best, should I stick it out for a while longer?

chiaseeddisapointmentagain Mon 04-Dec-17 09:34:02

Stick your notice in and do what? Let the state pay for your baby?

teaortequila23 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:36:10

Get yourself some vitamins (you should be taking them already)
Drink orange juice
Wash your hands frequently.
Get antibacterial wipes when u go to the toilet.

This will only make you and your baby’s immune system stronger.

glow1984 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:36:25

Think long term. Do you want to get another job or be a SAHM? also you wouldn’t be able to get maternity pay, but you might be entitled to maternity allowance.

Hammy12345 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:37:16

If your only 6 weeks pregnant, it not very long to say you have been sick most of your pregnancy. You will get used to all the bugs - practice excellent hand hygiene and hang on in there.

glow1984 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:37:26

Also, if you just started working there, of course you will get I’ll. your surrounded by kids passing on germs. My son was constantly ill when he first started. Your body needs to get used to the foreign bacteria

BakedBeans47 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:44:56

Been ill most of your pregnancy?! What, the 2 weeks or so since you found out?

It’s up,to you if you resign but tbh you seem as though you might be one of those pregnant women that milks it and is always off anyway.

Pringlepoo Wed 06-Dec-17 20:59:37

Some harsh replies but you do sound like maybe you need to relax and calm down a bit.

If you've just started working in a nursery, then you will get ill with all the new germs. Your body will get used to it and with good hygeine it will be a phase which passes.

Many jobs involve long hours and running around a lot. You're very early on pregnancy wise so can't make long term plans based on how you feel now.

As above, if you quit how do you expect to look after yourself and baby?

gobbin Thu 07-Dec-17 20:49:10

If you've just started working in a nursery, then you will get ill with all the new germs. Your body will get used to it and with good hygeine it will be a phase which passes

This, in spades. Once you get acclimatised to the germs you’ll be fine. It’s like changing schools as a teacher, the first few years your body takes a beating but after a while you’re ok.

insancerre Sun 10-Dec-17 07:53:55

If you are feeling ill then get a sick note from your doctor and have some time to get better
Have your employers done a risk assessment on you yet?
When I do them ( nursery manager) I put the staff member on light duties, and give her extra breaks if needed
I also review it every trimester
Working in a nursery is hard work but it shouldn't affect your pregnancy if you have a supportive team
i had a member of staff who was hospitalised with hg on several occasions and she was really ill at times, she worked very hard

You do need to look after yourself, take vitamins, plenty of fresh air, have a good diet, get plenty of sleep and wash your hands lots

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: