Talk

Advanced search

Opting out the nhs pension scheme

(4 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Fri 01-Dec-17 08:05:45

I'm just about to leave the nhs after 10 years working full time. I will carry on doing the odd bank shift. I've protected my pension as of last month so just doing the odd bank shift wont bring my career average down. I'm in my 40s but am moving to the private sector with a better pension scheme.

I have the choice of staying in it for the odd bank shift or leaving it which would mean more money if i did a bank shift. And the amount Id get into my pension if i stayed in wouldnt really be worth it. But just wondering if im missing any other benefits to staying in.....i guess there's a chance one day i might come back to the nhs but i could always rejoin?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 01-Dec-17 11:37:59

Anyone?

ChessieFL Sat 02-Dec-17 11:26:54

Staying in will keep your entitlement to death in service benefits, which could include enhancements to any spouse/partner/child pension that could become payable. You would also retain your own right to early payment on ill health grounds, which again could include enhancements.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 02-Dec-17 12:16:11

I didnt know that. Will stay in then, thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: