Talk

Advanced search

So anyone had a competency interview?

(6 Posts)
ormulu Thu 30-Nov-17 17:52:35

Educational setting
Applied for new job and been told it will be a competency interview?

Anyone any experience?

I think it means I have to illustrate relevant experiences by reflecting on my career so far?

Yikes!!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 30-Nov-17 17:55:20

It means they want you to give examples to demonstrate your competence.

Use the STAR model to structure your answers. Google it for full details.

LIZS Thu 30-Nov-17 17:55:53

Standard interview style. Go through the person spec and job description and try to have an example to illustrate how you meet each item.

Katescurios Thu 30-Nov-17 18:05:40

Yes, questions will be something like:

Can you give me an example of a time when you have delivered feedback type a colleague tyo improve performance.

Your answer needs to describe the SITUATION
explain your TASK
provide the specific ACTION you took
Finish with the RESULT.

So: I noticed that a colleague was making a mistake when logging calls, this meant a longer time to resolving the issues for the customers and we had received several complaints.

I started by compiling a list of the errors and sourcing/creating some reference material.

I knew that my colleague may be embarrassed at receiving feedback so I arranged to discuss with her in private and made sure that I used a friendly tone and supportive language.

I explained the error, showed her the reference material and offered !y ongoing support should she have any queries going forwards.

She thanked me and asked me to check her work next time she had this issue to make sure she was doing it right.

I was able to do this and could see that she now understood the correct process. There were no further errors and o further complaints, she also said she felt more confident.

Sometime they link the question to a company value so may say ' we value passion which to us means going above and beyond, taking proactive steps and ....... with that in mind can you give me and example of....'

Katescurios Thu 30-Nov-17 18:06:34

Sorry so so so many typos

madwoman1ntheatt1c Thu 30-Nov-17 18:10:05

what they said. I like to shake it up a bit by providing completely unexpected scenarios that also happen to fit with the desired value/ competence. at least it stops them getting bored grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now