Advanced search

What to do

(23 Posts)
strawberryjellybaby Thu 30-Nov-17 00:03:19

Not sure if anyone can help but Iv been made aware of an issue at work by quite a young scared care assistant. A staff member has allegedly been abusive towards a patient (dementia) and the scared staff member can't go to the manager about it because the manager and the alleged abuser are very unprofessionally friendly. The scared staff member wants to remain unnamed at work as she fears for her well being of being known as a "tittle taler" she's worried of repercussions from the alleged abuser. Can she contact CQC and report it to them anonymously and will they be able to do anything e.g suspend the alleged abuser pending investigation? Would an anonymous report give anyone grounds or power to remove this alleged abuser from the right to be there? I have offered to take this matter forward for her but she doesn't want me to. So I am exploring other options. But obviously want to know where she stands with this option. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

daisychain01 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:35:31

I have offered to take this matter forward for her but she doesn't want me to

This rings alarm bells that she has explicitly stated that she does not want you to get involved, but you are continuing to do so.

I would desist now, as she has stated her wish. You can't possibly have all the facts, so if you do anything outside her remit, albeit well-intentioned, is risky for you and for her in terms of her employment.

If she wants to escalate it, and feels a vulnerable person is at risk, then she must do so through the correct channels. The organisation could have a whistleblowers charter or policy which would protect her from retaliation.

It's not about turning a blind eye, rather it's about potentially doing more harm than good by getting involved in a situation you don't fully understand.

Iliketeaagain Thu 30-Nov-17 14:42:25

I think you have a duty to report as a safeguarding concern irrespective of whether the member of staff wants you to or not, for the sake of the vulnerable adult who is being abused

You should be reporting it to the local social services adult safeguarding team and encouraging the scared member of staff to do so.

You can do anonymous reports and also tell social services concerns about staff being scared to report abuse as that's a safeguarding concern in itself!

Hoppinggreen Thu 30-Nov-17 18:35:58

I have worked for the CQC
One thing we looked at during inspections was whether there was a proper whistle blowing process in place so you shouid have one
Unfortunately if the person who witnessed the issue won’t report I don’t think you really can as heresay

distillary Thu 30-Nov-17 22:39:35

Go to the CQC

distillary Thu 30-Nov-17 22:40:05

And adult services for safeguarding

Ylvamoon Thu 30-Nov-17 22:44:18

*you have a duty to report as a safeguarding concern irrespective of whether the member of staff wants you to or not*

^ This, nothing else!

Devilishpyjamas Thu 30-Nov-17 22:48:29

She can report to the CQC anonymously. Can do it via the website.

She should also contact the safeguarding dept at her council. There should be information about that in work. If not she can look online on the council website for the ways to contact them.

I work in care. I also have a very vulnerable adult son. I would not hesitate to contact CQC or safeguarding if necessary (in fact had a conversation with the CQC today - they have no investigatory powers though).

My son has been Involved in two safeguarding incidents (he was punched both times) and I am very grateful to the staff members who reported it. He is non verbal so could not tell anyone.

When you work in care you have a duty to report.

strawberryjellybaby Thu 30-Nov-17 23:24:03

Thank you for info. What about anonymous letter to HR? Going above the manager as Iv spoken to scared care staff member today and others who have come to me. Reports have been made prior and nothing was done but someone breached confidentiality and told the alleged abuser who reported and what was said. She's desperate to share but not personally and she doesn't want me to and has said if I do she will be too scared to come to work. I just feel I'm in a position of trust and I don't want to jeopardise this and she not say anything at all.

Killerfiller Thu 30-Nov-17 23:37:26



Please never work in a job which means your responsible for anything alive.

Jesus Christ.

daisychain01 Thu 30-Nov-17 23:51:28

Killer you don't have to be so violent. And blaspheme at me For giving an opinion. Take it or leave it, you don't need to vilify me. Read my post, I didn't say turn a blind eye I said the person in the organisation should take it through the correct channels.

Killerfiller Fri 01-Dec-17 13:51:55

Violent ?

Lol just lol

daisychain01 Fri 01-Dec-17 17:23:15

Get back to AIBU where you belong grin grin grin

Temporaryanonymity Fri 01-Dec-17 17:32:24

You have a duty to report. Is there an area manager. If you are part of large chain eg hc one or four seasons for example there will be. Or the owners if a small group. If nowhere else go to the local sqfeguardibg team. If you work there do your have a specific duty to report so it can be fully investiagted.

Temporaryanonymity Fri 01-Dec-17 17:33:07

Sorry for typos. Am on a broken phone

CotswoldStrife Fri 01-Dec-17 17:36:07

There should be a whistleblowing procedure available.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Fri 01-Dec-17 17:39:23

This is why there's whistle blowing policies and procedures.

Badhairday1001 Fri 01-Dec-17 17:47:39

I work with children not adults but I would have a duty to report this to our safeguarding officer. If I didn't feel that it was handled correctly or I didn't have confidence that it would be, I would then need to contact social services safeguarding team. Even without the legal duty I would do so because morally that's the right thing to do! You must have a safeguarding policy?

retirednow Fri 01-Dec-17 18:36:11

Genuine whistle blowers are protected by law, she should be encouraged to discuss her concerns with either the area manager or head office, this might upset her manager and the accused but there is no excuse for bullying residents, how would any of the people there feel if that was happening to their relatives. What is the nature of the alledged abuse?
What is your particular 'position of trust' there, if you are a qualified health professional you know what your responsibilites are.

GreatStar Sat 02-Dec-17 11:04:18

You are now involved whether you like it or not
You now have a duty of care and need to report
If you dont and something happens , the ensuing enquiry will tear you to shreds. Youve been told about abuse
You must take action
Simple as.

GreatStar Sat 02-Dec-17 11:07:10

Also you say youre in a position of trust?
What about the trust of the poor soul being abused????????
You and this member of staff need to refresh yourselves of the core values of care work and safeguarding issues!

mustbemad17 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:10:16

She brought you into this by telling you her concerns. If other staff have also done the same then you have a duty of care to report what you have been told. No ifs, buts or maybes; you are responsible for the care of somebody who you have been told is being abused. You must report it.

retirednow Sat 02-Dec-17 20:53:41

Please read the CPS Policy for prosecuting crimes against older people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: