Talk

Advanced search

Tell interviewer about dyslexia and aspergers

(4 Posts)
username098 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:43:39

I know work places are not supposed to discriminate however, If I'm applying for cafe / shop / cleaning work ie jobs that get loads of applicants why would they choose me when they can get someone who can do the job better?

If I tell them in the interview I probably won't get the job.

If I don't tell them I'm deceiving them plus they will know something is wrong when I cannot actually do the job.

I'm stuck. I've been raising my kids at home and it's the first time I've had to work since realising I have aspergers and dyslexia.

Please advise??

allaboutthatsass Wed 29-Nov-17 20:01:45

You could apply for a lot more than just that type of job. I think cleaning jobs are more likely to discriminate to be honest (saying this as a disabled person myself) but more well known companies will be more likely to follow the law.

You can get adjustments funded in the workplace by Access to Work so have a chat with your local job centre to get this support in place for when you get into employment, and they can also help with your job search.

I'd always disclose a disability. IMO if you don't, then they have a defence against any discrimination claim: "she never told us"

daisychain01 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:44:51

If I don't tell them I'm deceiving them plus they will know something is wrong when I cannot actually do the job

This is not correct. You are not deceiving them. If you want the job and believe you have the skills needed, then you have every right to apply.

The Equality Act is there to ensure you have the same fair chance as anyone to be given the job. One of the fundamental principles is that you are judged according to your skills, experience, character and personality. And the potential they may see in you as a person.

Apply for the job, attend the interview and show them what your talents and skills are.

When they offer you the role, you may need reasonable adjustments, that's for you to decide and discuss what those might be. You are entitled to reasonable adjustments at any stage in your employment, as these may not emerge immediately, they could be needed at some future time. Or may not ever be needed.

If you have a registered disability or if some MH history is on your health record, it is in your interests to share it with your employer so you are fully protected under the Equality Act. But do that at the right time which is after the selection process is complete. You should not be discriminated against.

strongandlong Thu 30-Nov-17 14:49:40

There's some good advice here. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now