Workplace not filling vacant positions and remaining staff overworked

(3 Posts)
bluetongue Tue 28-Nov-17 09:26:24

I’ll be vague about my job but it’s a government workplace. It’s an interesting place to work with some fantastic and dedicated employees but has always had a fairly slack management with terrible communication. There are also high maintenance types and it can be a high stress environment.

Anyway because of all this it has a pretty high turnover. In the last three months my team has lost nearly half it’s numbers and those reamaining are expected to pick up the slack. Mention this to a manager and your told ‘team A had to go through the same recently so suck it up’ or words to that effect. Just because another team was understaffed and overworked doesn’t make it the way it has to be for all the teams!

Oh course the other line trotted out is ‘we can’t possibly do anything now, it’s too close to Christmas’. Maybe true but this is our busiest time of the year and there are still ways of using the staff we have more efficiently. In the meantime work just builds up and mistakes start being made sad

I’m so tired after the working week that I usually sleep for hours on a Saturday afternoon as I’m too exhausted to even watch TV.

No advice needed really. Just venting I guess. I know the only solution is for me to find another job before I burnout. I’m sure I’m not alone in my situation.

OP’s posts: |
s4nha Tue 28-Nov-17 11:08:11

Similar set up where I work. Also civil service. At my place the management are being squeezed as well. One manager is doing her job plus the work of her old boss whose role has been merged with hers. I think she is uber stressed. Then staff are pushing for stuff as they are stressed. They moved the workload of two staff members to another department but took four staff members. Some individuals have been granted things and others have not. It makes for a completely toxic environment. Such a shame because 2 years ago it was a great place to work. Seems the this is quite prevalent in government and local government. No payrise but 20, 30 or 40% extra work..

bluetongue Tue 28-Nov-17 11:37:56

Oh yes to the no pay rise thing. Everything going up except our wages sad

I want to have an extra day or two off over Christmas but pretty sure it’s going to be turned down (office is still open between Christmas and new year).

Guess my new year’s resolution is to get another job grin

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in