Restricting when I can take leave

(10 Posts)
BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 20:23:56

I have worked for the same large public body (not nhs) for 12 years, on a fairly senior technical post. Due to recent restructuring, I am on my 6th line manager in as many months. All have been internal assignments, all have been people with equally long, or longer, lengths of service.

For the last 14 months I have worked Tue-Fri (family commitments), having stepped up from Tue-Thur before my dc were both at school. Prior to that I was full time. No one has ever complained about my hours, or my ability to do my job.

My most recent line manager has requested that I am in the office on Fridays (it is a mixed field/site/Office role) as he likes to work at home on Fridays for religious reasons (o get this) - but also he does not want me to take any annual leave on Fridays. I am the next most senior person in the team to him (by a long way) , and he wants someone present to address by issues arising. I return he’ll cover anything I need covering on s Monday (virtually nothing, my colleagues and suppliers etc are used to my working pattern).

This is playing havoc with covering school holidays, inset days etc! DH works away too much to reliably cover school holidays - he will, but we’ll only know a couple of weeks in advance if he can - no local family, rural holiday club only covers some of the holidays and not insets.

Can my line manager actually specify that I (and only I) can not take leave on a particular day of the week? There is no organisational policy on this and he had not made a similar request of anyone else.

OP’s posts: |
TheEmmaDilemma Tue 21-Nov-17 20:29:39

No, raise it with HR. Key person dependancies etc. should not stop you taking your leave when you require it.

I also don't think he has any right to change your working days on that basis. I'd be understanding, but unwilling to have my working pattern alterted to suit someone else better outside of an actual business need.

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 20:44:57

He’s not changing my working days. I do work on Fridays, and am happy to accommodate his request for mr to be in office (rather than site visits, wfh etc) on Fridays, but not to not take leave on Fridays.

Horsemad Tue 21-Nov-17 20:59:13

What happens if you want to take a full week off (Tue-Fri?)

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 21:19:01

Not sure about that, my “big” summer holiday is already booked.

Summerisdone Tue 21-Nov-17 21:21:07

What would happen if you wanted to go away on holiday? He’s basically saying you can only ever take a family holiday from Saturday to Thursday because you’d need to be back in for the Friday.

I wouldn’t have that, you should definitely speak to HR

Optimist1 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:21:38

By agreeing to be office-based on Fridays you are accommodating his wishes; he really shouldn't be able to dictate the annual leave situation. As Horesmad says, it's entirely reasonable for you to want to take a week or two off for a holiday. How does he view the fact that you could conceivably be off sick on a Friday? Time for HR (who have a record of your commitment and abilities to date) to back you up on this one, OP.

RandomMess Tue 21-Nov-17 21:27:45

How can he dictate this, he can say you both can't take leave on a Friday as one of you needs to be available. What he is actually doing is refusing to work in the office on the Friday's you need/wish to take as Annual Leave - I can't see how he is permitted to do that...

flowery Tue 21-Nov-17 21:42:00

There’s nothing unlawful about it unless it’s discriminatory but it’s not fair if it’s only applied to you, so I would raise it as a concern.

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 21:47:31

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ve worked with this guy for many years, and suspect I will continue to do so, I have filled in my leave request for the rest of my year, and take it from there. I don’t want to get heavy if I don’t need to, but am feeling 1-singled out and 2- pushed into something unfair and completely unprecedented.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in