Talk

Advanced search

Will my lie be found out from the interview

(10 Posts)
Toastytoes1 Tue 21-Nov-17 05:19:09

I had an interview last week for a band 7 nursing role and have now been offered the job. During the interview I lied about offering formal clinical supervision for staff in my current band 6 role. I only lied because I offer informal supervision all the time and know that I could easily offer formal supervision but it just hasn't come up in my job before because thats not really how my role works at present.
I really do feel qualified and ready for this new role and believe I could do a great job so I didn't lie about anything that will affect my ability to actually do the job but I'm worried that they'll retract the offer if they ask for a reference from my current manager and specifically ask to confirm that I have offered formal supervision.
I did say 'no' when they asked if I'd completed the formal supervision training and said I would definitely be interested in doing this if it were an option.
Is this a major problem? I know it was wrong to lie but I don't feel my lie is an over-exageration of my skills, just my experience.
Will they ask my reference this?

hevonbu Tue 21-Nov-17 05:28:20

Probably, because they can see on your face now that you're worried and stingy about it.

What is the difference between formal clinical supervision, and informal supervision? What does it require /of you/ to be (become) properly qualified?

CheshireSplat Tue 21-Nov-17 05:33:38

I'm not in the NHS but everywhere I have ever worked only offers "factual references", which is dates, job title and that's about it. Do you have any idea what your current employer might do. If you Google your employer's name and "factual reference" you may find a policy online. I've just googled "NHS factual reference" and there's lots of information.

BertramTheWalrus Tue 21-Nov-17 05:46:44

Sounds like a typical exaggeration many males wouldn't think twice about! I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it doesn't sound like anything that's likely to be found out.

Needthesunshine Tue 21-Nov-17 05:55:11

Relax and congratulations on your new role. The reference will be a standard NHS reference and they will be more interested in any sick time than specifics about clinical supervision. You've been honest that you’ve had no formal training in this subject so if it’s a requirement of the role they will give you the training.

yowerohotesies Tue 21-Nov-17 06:22:26

If your current role doesn't differentiate between formal and informal supervision and you've been honest about not having had formal supervision training then your answers were not lies. Real people's careers rarely fit exactly into the theoretical "one size fits all" definitions that a tick-box job interview asks about. It's completely normal to need to answer a few yes/no questions with yes where the yes requires some additional level of understanding of the circumstances that there isn't time to go into in interview so you just say yes.

Don't give this a moment's thought. If you get the job then hold your head up high, you got it on merit. Don't let yourself be crushed with "imposter syndrome" (where people lack confidence due to thinking they don't deserve their position) - you have plenty of supervision experience and will do brilliantly.

ShizeItsWeegie Tue 21-Nov-17 06:22:53

Surely it's more of a grey area than a lie? You were honest in that you hadn't undertaken training in formal supervision so the training you have given is......a bit of a grey area. I suspect they won't check. Good luck with it.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Tue 21-Nov-17 06:36:45

Goodness, you will be fine. Don’t give it a second of thought! Enjoy the new job!!

Toastytoes1 Tue 21-Nov-17 07:26:52

Thank you all for your kindness

heron98 Tue 21-Nov-17 15:11:31

I don't think so.

I lied to get my job. I had done something they were asking for, just not in a professional capacity and knew I could do it fine. And I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now