Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Employment tribunal hearing

(3 Posts)
Ohayohay Mon 13-Nov-17 19:14:24

Can anyone give me some tips please? I have a 2 week hearing coming up. A complicated case. Just me on my own. The company has lots of witnesses, hard-boiled people. A barrister and solicitors. Is it manageable? How can I manage the logistics of it? They are playing all sorts of tactical games already. I can't afford representation.

Blankiefan Mon 13-Nov-17 20:04:43

Know your bundle. Make sure you tab it up so you're not faffing around trying to find things.

Be really prepared - have questions prepared for each witness. Have them read appropriate lines e.g. can you please turn to page x and read the second paragraph?

If the hearing is in England, witnesses are allowed to observe. If they have lots of witnesses, you might want to ask at the start of the trial if witnesses can be excluded from observing until they've given evidence. You can't ask this half way thru (you can but it's less likely to be granted). It's not a given - the panel will decide.

If something is said / asked that you don't understand then ask. Don't feel silly asking. Especially if it sounds technical/ legal. The panel are there to make sure things are fair and you representing yourself should mean they keep things balanced.

If you've not been to one before try to go along and observe something unrelated. I think the public can do this. It'll make it all less strange.

And finally, if there are still a few weeks to go think about approaching them to settle if appropriate. It'll cost them in time/ travel / legal costs to come so they might take a pragmatic approach. Depending on your situation you may not get a huge aware even if you win. It might be worth saving yourself the grief. It will undoubtedly be stressful. Note that they're less likely go settle on the day as they'll have already sunk the costs.

Ohayohay Mon 13-Nov-17 21:48:27

Thank you. Will be so much work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now