Talk

Advanced search

any HCAs or RGNs survival tips

(3 Posts)
manchesteruntied Mon 13-Nov-17 13:39:45

I am a HCA, busy rehab/sub acute wards (am bank so float around a bit). I just told work about the pg as I am 12 weeks, had a couple of weeks off due to morning (24/7!) sickness.

I am looking forward to going back, but just wondered if anyone else on a ward have any pregnancy-work survival tips?

I appear (fingers crossed) to have stopped throwing up all the time (sorry TMI) but I am nauseas most of the time, this plus commodes and personal care+++ might be a bit challenging.

Also I am thirsty quite a lot, but on the wards I am on (and everyone else's I'd imagine!) there just isn't time to sit around sipping cold water (only thing that works atm)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?? As long as the phrase "just put your big girl pants on" or similar is not used...someone told me to do that the other day...I believe I was dry at 18 mths, so have been in "big girl pants" for 29 years :-P , it drives me loopy.

Thanks for any advice xx

Babyroobs Thu 16-Nov-17 21:33:07

It's difficult. Shift work ( especially nights) plays havoc with morning sickness. I have struggled through 4 pregnancies doing Nursing and it was hard. With my second ds I lived in a different country and towards the end of my pregnancy the weather was overwhelmingly hot. I tried to carry on but ending up going into labour before my mat leave even started and he was bon at 34 weeks. I would say just take it steady and know your limits. To be honest the unit I currently work on is just so heavy and stressful that collegues go off sick at about 28 weeks and don't return. Once they've done all their weekends / nights for the weeks that count towards working out the mat pay, they go off sick.

daisychain01 Fri 17-Nov-17 07:54:00

Also I am thirsty quite a lot, but on the wards I am on (and everyone else's I'd imagine!) there just isn't time to sit around sipping cold water (only thing that works atm)

I'd see if you can carry a small water bottle round with you. It could be argued it's a reasonable adjustment for your pg. you need to care for yourself before you can care for others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now