Talk

Advanced search

If I'm signed off work can I still go in if I'm feeling better?

(21 Posts)
megletthesecond Mon 13-Nov-17 09:22:10

I've had a couple of weeks off following a bowel op.

Meant to go back tomorrow but not quite well enough yet. I'm trying to get back to normal following taking anti-B's that floored me and resting. If my GP signs me off this week can I go in for one day at the end of the week if I feel ok?

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Mon 13-Nov-17 09:25:11

If you are signed off then I am afraid no matter how well you feel you cannot go into work until after your period of authorised absence has finished.

megletthesecond Mon 13-Nov-17 09:28:05

Thanks. I did wonder.

doodle01 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:28:11

if your employer is happy you can go back to work - the days of well notes are gone
Sorry

doodle01 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:32:16

It would be perverse not to be able to work if your well
The sick note is really an administrative tool for employers. Some doctors wont even issue one if you have a broken leg.
If your are fit and well and the employers risk assessment is that your are able to perform your role without risk you can work.
Most would offer a period of light work to ease you back in.
Question really is if you are sitting at home on sofa taking it easy that is one thing but travelling to work being on feet or in chair all day long etc may have an impact you didnt foresee.

Kathsmum Mon 13-Nov-17 09:34:58

Compromise: agree a phased return, a couple days to start etc

This can be put in sick note and then discussed with employer

megletthesecond Mon 13-Nov-17 09:36:11

yy doodle. Being at home and just pottering doing errands at my own pace is fine. I'm worried about not being able to make it to the toilet the moment I need to and having to sit down all day long. I don't think I'll be popular with my consultant if I undo his work either. I've got an appointment with my GP shortly so I'll see what they say.

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Mon 13-Nov-17 09:38:31

It depends on your employer. You'd have to discuss it with them.

Mrscog Mon 13-Nov-17 09:40:57

Yes of course - it's to give you a window to get well. If someone is happy to come back I always let them if I feel they're actually well. Although we have paid sick leave so there's not the same pressure on people to come back before they're recovered.

flowery Mon 13-Nov-17 09:43:41

"If you are signed off then I am afraid no matter how well you feel you cannot go into work until after your period of authorised absence has finished."

Nonsense. It's completely up to the individual employer. Many would say don't come back in as they don't want to risk the employee coming in when they shouldn't be there and making themselves worse, or spreading an illness among colleagues. But if your employer is happy for you to go in it's fine.

NewtsSuitcase Mon 13-Nov-17 09:49:02

"If you are signed off then I am afraid no matter how well you feel you cannot go into work until after your period of authorised absence has finished."

This is not correct. However many employers will want you to demonstrate with certain illnesses (highly contagious or mental health related) that your GP is happy for you to return early and this could involve you getting a private GP letter which generally costs you money

Council Mon 13-Nov-17 09:51:16

Yes, there's nothing to prevent you going in, although a contentious employer would do a risk assessment to make sure you and your colleagues will be safe. Have to say though, after surgery and a lengthy absence, why wouldn't you take the full week and make sure you're properly well?

notacooldad Mon 13-Nov-17 09:52:23

I was signed off work. The employer found me a better and more suitable jo. I had two weeks left to run on my sick note. They tried to persuade me to come in before my sick note ran out now that hpthey had found a better job.
So I would say it depends on your employer and also why you are signed off.

TonicAndTonic Mon 13-Nov-17 09:54:00

Where I work (public sector) you'd have to have a return to work interview with Occupational Health first, and be able to convince them that you are completely recovered.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Mon 13-Nov-17 09:54:47

I stand corrected if that's true however I was always informed that you couldn't go back as a doctor had advised that you were still not fit, and if you wanted to return then wouldn't you need a note to declare yourself fit which I am sure doctors wouldn't provide?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 13-Nov-17 10:01:32

I had to have a fit note from my doctor. And was told I had to stay off sick once I felt bette because of their insurance.

megletthesecond Mon 13-Nov-17 10:06:05

council part if me would like to try a day and see how I get on, work is so busy so I won't be popular being off. I know what you mean though.

notacooldad Mon 13-Nov-17 10:10:30

Where I work (public sector) you'd have to have a return to work interview with Occupational Health first, and be able to convince them that you are completely recovered

I'm public sector as well, however we don't necessarily have to go to occupational health. I can't think of any one that has been recently asfter a period of sickness. We are expected to see them if we are off long term sick ( although I'm sure there are exceptions to this)

We do have a return to work interview that checks that you are ok and asks if you need any support and there is a phased return to work if needed.
Going back to the original question the employers ( local authority )asked me to finish my leave early so therefore I would say yes you can go back before your sick note runs out.

daisychain01 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:03:46

It’s your choice, but I’d take the time off to fully recover. Having to sit upright for any length of time when there is still internal healing going on isn’t a good idea. I wouldn’t rush to go back if you have a Doctor’s note to cover the situation.

Your health is way more important than anything else.

bloodynoris Mon 13-Nov-17 13:06:36

In my previous role with a high st bank I wasn't allowed to go back as they said I wouldn't be covered by their insurance.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 13-Nov-17 18:34:01

In our workplace you would meet with ohd after being off for an operation. They would decide if you were fit to return and if a phased return or light duties would be appropriate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: