Talk

Advanced search

Subject to references?

(4 Posts)
Hatemyjob2 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:34:16

So I have found and been offered a new job in the local council as I absolutely hate my current job. Problem is that I can’t hand in my notice until I get the offer in writing (obvs). But they won’t make the offer until after references, one of whom had to be my current manager when I applied. I also gave an academic reference as I’m doing a MSc part time.
But I don’t want my boss to know until I hand in my notice as she’s a complete cow and is likely to just sit on the reference request. Would it be reasonable for me to contact the council and ask them to direct the request to HR, as they can say everything that my manager needs to?

I’m also having to get my gp involved as our new contract states 3 months notice and I think I’ll break if I stay any longer (teacher) I just can’t stay here anymore. I’ve got a meeting with my union rep tomorrow to discuss this.

Polarbearflavour Mon 06-Nov-17 22:11:20

Many workplaces only give references via HR - it’s been company policy at all the big workplaces and government departments I have ever worked in. They only confirm you work there, the dates and your job title I think. Unless teaching is different?

Hatemyjob2 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:05:15

Ugh. Apparently they are going to hold me to 3 months notice high is totally un-do-able. So it’s going to have to be 2 months off sick or major negotiations. I might be able to grind them down as I have some pretty big grievances, such as lack of rtw after stress leave, lack of phased return, failure to complete my performance reviews despite being asked for 3 years (a biggie as a teacher). My workload as a part-timer is totally unfeasible and my manager is so unreasonable. And the 2nd referral to Occupational Health just never happened.

Hatemyjob2 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:05:46

*which not high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now