Talk

Advanced search

Salary negotiations - getting a bad feeling about this

(16 Posts)
NinahH Mon 06-Nov-17 18:27:47

Without giving too many details was offered job with a salary range, said I would like to accept provided pay was mid range. Manager had to speak to her manager, but sounded fine. Then I got requests for more information about previous job, which I supplied, along with request for copy of payslips. When I supplied further information Manager said she will put the case, suggested a figure low end of mid range I 'might' get but assumes I am OK to proceed on lowest figure if not (which I've made clear I am not). By now I feel quite put off; I'd be prepared to accept the low mid range offer, but part of me is wondering if I really want to work there and should pull out now. It's a kind of job AIBU really - any advice? I am due to be made redundant from current job but have six months or so to look for something.

flowery Mon 06-Nov-17 19:28:42

Not sure why you should pull out? In many organisations there is a rule/convention that new starters start on the bottom of the range, and negotiating anything otherwise can be difficult or unusual.

Doesn't sound like you have a final figure yet. When you get it, decide whether you are prepared to accept the job for that amount or not. If you've got plenty of other irons in the fire/the salary is lower than usual for similar jobs elsewhere, you might want to politely decline at that point.

I don't think there's any particular reason to be put off though. They are doing their job negotiating and seeking additional information, they haven't done anything wrong.

PennyPent Mon 06-Nov-17 19:31:36

Would you be happy to work there if the pay was mid range? Or have they put you off already? If you have the experience and skill to merit mid range, then don't sell yourself short (especially as you have the luxury of some time and you're not making this sound like a dream job). If that's a step up from your current salary, so be it. Tell the manager that your salary should be assessed in its own right, without reference to your current job. If you're the right person for the job they should pay what you're worth.

I can understand any company wanting to save money where they can, but you have been straight with them from the outset, and have nothing to lose.

NinahH Mon 06-Nov-17 19:39:42

It is indeed a sector (I have since realised) where the convention is to start at the bottom of scale. However when we discussed the initial offer I made it clear I would only be interested mid scale, based on prior experience/transferable skills. The thing that put me off was the manager suggesting that if she couldn't secure the increase she'd proceed on the bottom of scale; I'd already indicated I wouldn't be interested in that. It's a big enough drop already. I suppose I'm just panicking I may be walking into a(nother) toxic culture.
Is it usual to ask for pay slips?
I'm probably being overly suspicious and panicking.

NinahH Mon 06-Nov-17 19:41:53

You're right, Penny, it's not my dream job but I can do it and I will do it conscientiously and cheerfully.

SonicBoomBoom Mon 06-Nov-17 19:47:13

I think you should start to play hardball. Make it clear, again, so there's no ambiguity, that you cannot accept the low range offer.

BrandNewHouse Mon 06-Nov-17 19:49:45

Agree with hardball. Say that you are not prepared to start for less than X. Honestly, you will get respected more for having standards and not being a pushover.

PennyPent Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:36

It's not usual to ask for payslips in my world. I've never come across that in 20 years as an employer, or at any point in my working life (in a plc and private companies)

BrandNewHouse Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:37

Very unusual to ask for payslips. But just say it is irrelevant in this post as your aren’t prepared to move for X

NinahH Mon 06-Nov-17 19:57:22

I don't mind sending the payslips, just think it's very odd as my salary before is fairly obviously verifiable from national scales (teaching). I would be minded to accept their higher offer in the interests of having a secure job but I don't like being misrepresented - I was quite clear on the initial offer (being blissfully ignorant of convention) that I would not consider the bottom of pay scale, and she accepted this and agreed to negotiate. I repeated in an email that if it was bottom pay scale I would not wish to proceed; just feel if they're ignoring me now when they want me on board, what would it be like to work there!

PennyPent Mon 06-Nov-17 20:12:14

I wondered if it was teaching... I don't know where you live, but in London and the South East there is a recruitment crisis in teaching. I used to be Chair of Govs at a school, and based on that experience, I would say go in at the point you think is right, it will be much harder to do in post. You hold the cards here.

travailtotravel Mon 06-Nov-17 20:12:50

I've never given a pay slip. How on earth is anhonevdupposed to 'better themselves'if they do that? It just encourages more discrimination and inequality in my view. Be interesting to know if would ask a man the same thing tbh...

NinahH Mon 06-Nov-17 20:22:28

Penny I've come out of teaching! I did actually love that job but was v unlucky with employer which has left me a bit scarred. More than anything, I don't want a toxic workplace. I'd rather temp or do supply.

PennyPent Mon 06-Nov-17 20:37:01

Doh! Didn't read properly!

daisychain01 Tue 07-Nov-17 05:32:45

I’d keep your options open if you have time to spare. Irrespective of the salary, I don’t get the impression they really care about getting you onboard, which is why they’re quibbling about your starting salary and trying to get you in the cheap.

Think of your own minimum threshold (based on the skills you can offer them and their salary range) and don’t accept less. If you join them discontent before you’ve even done your induction, it’s hardly a good basis for employment!

NinahH Tue 07-Nov-17 06:25:22

That's what I feel, daisy. Money aside, it's really putting me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now