Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Micromanagement and it's troubles

(18 Posts)
winkletwinkletoes Wed 01-Nov-17 18:13:58

Hi I've recently settled into a team been there for few months now. There is a weird management structure with several manangers and then people who are seniors and then me.

I'm really struggling with my senior. They are not my line manager can I add, but we share the same line manager. They have extra workloads and have more responsibilities but are not our managers if that makes sense.

I've literally been given limited work due to them keeping it to themselves or being given really crappy tasks to do.

They tell me who to contact, when to do it and tell me how to do most things. Even simple tasks as writing an email they will tell me the content instead of letting me get on and do it.

They've now requested that I CC them into every email I send and they are going to request that anyone who contacts me to CC them into emails addressed to myself!!?angry I'm sorry but I don't like that at all!

I've done the job in another workplace for several years so am
Capable and was told I'd be great to hit the ground running... yet I can't.

We have bi weekly meetings for updates on the jobs and tasks so there would be my chance to update.... not CC into every email!

And no other colleagues have to do this apart from me and another few who are underneath the senior.

What should I do?? Should I address this further? Can I add another manager stated the other day they couldn't work under them as it would be hard because of the way they are... so management are very much aware. sad

unfortunateevents Wed 01-Nov-17 18:43:56

Speak to your line manager. You should be having some regular catch-ups with them anyway, or certainly an end of probation meeting. If nothing like this has been happening, just request a meeting with them and outline your difficulties. You don't have to be completely negative about your colleague but perhaps present it as her maybe not realising your level of experience, that her constant micro-management and insistence on being copied into everything, including things which are not relevant to her are both a waste of yours and her time and limiting the contribution which you can make to the company.

winkletwinkletoes Wed 01-Nov-17 18:56:15

I have outlined my prior experience on several occasions. The response was they need to learn to trust me first hmm not sure which way to take that.

They have openly admitted that they have trouble letting go so how do I solve this when it's their issue more than mine.

I don't mind going to them
For advice when needed but I don't need my hand holding. It's just making me miserable.

daisychain01 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:15:09

Sorry to sound negative, but that amount of hierchical layers would feel much too stifling and lacks trust. How can you possibly do your job with any degree of autonomy with someone breathing down your neck.

It may be difficult to overcome if the structure is set in stone and culturally bound.

Ask them if they’ve ever heard of the word Empowerment!

unfortunateevents Wed 01-Nov-17 20:21:32

Who is the "they" you are referring to in your last post? The colleague or your line manager whom I suggested you speak to? If LM is also "having trouble letting go" I think you are on a hiding to nothing and can start looking for a new job because it sounds like the culture of micro-management is ingrained in the company.

winkletwinkletoes Wed 01-Nov-17 20:21:48

Line management are good but I've never seen somewhere with so many managers who all have their own ways of working!

Ha, autonomy. There is zero chance of that. Shame cause the rest of the team is lovely apart from the seniors who believe they are gods gift.

winkletwinkletoes Wed 01-Nov-17 20:24:07

They- meaning senior.

Line management that are over both of us is quite good. She will say oh give some work to X and then senior will be like yeah I will go with them or acompany them to meeting.

I'm not sure wether to hang on as we have been promised change is on the horizon or I have an option to transfer/secondment to another team. confused

daisychain01 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:21:59

Personally, I would start afresh with the secondment to a new team where hopefully they will have confidence in your skills and give you respect.

winkletwinkletoes Wed 01-Nov-17 21:31:43

Thanks daisychain smile I personally feel that would be the best option due to being able to have control over your own workload as it is managed differently.
However the niggle is always there... frying pan- fire!!

Horsemad Thu 02-Nov-17 00:58:44

Go for secondment - if that is no better, look for a new job!

blueshoes Thu 02-Nov-17 01:21:12

OP, do explore transfer/secondment but in the meantime, whilst you are still in the role, the way I would do it (and I detest being micromanaged) is to copy the seniors in on every single email and jam up their inbox.

This will satisfy their control freak tendencies and give you a chance to earn their 'trust' because what you do will be totally transparent to them.

Set up regular meetings with them and line management where you give updates on progress and get their 'steer' on things.

I am afraid you will have to manage 'up'. It is time wasting and a distraction but that is what is required of you and so you play the game until something better comes along.

highinthesky Thu 02-Nov-17 02:05:02

If you are being micromanaged, you can bet an insecure colleague is looking to trip you up, to “prove” their own competence.

Get the hell out.

winkletwinkletoes Thu 02-Nov-17 07:15:45

Highinthesky- this has already happened. I had a complaint about work ethic via a client to the senior! In all my years I've never once had any complaints and I just think it's odd.

I just don't trust them and I feel they may think I'm a threat to them as I came from high responsibilities elsewhere this was a downgrade for me which I accept and I'm fine with as it's more money but I think they can see I won't be easy to control.

Not trying to blow my own trumpet in anyway but I feel like they are trying to find ways to get me into trouble. At first I thought I was paranoid but a few people have said be careful as I do think they want to get me into trouble. It's such a horrible feeling sad

Bunnychopz Thu 02-Nov-17 07:22:37

Just say no your not CCing and that the weekly updates are enough.

Can the manager delegate tasks.

winkletwinkletoes Thu 02-Nov-17 10:04:11

The manager does- but then the senior overrides the manager sometimes.

And also, the manager will ask if they are accompanying me to XYZ.

It's annoying cuz the other manager isn't like that and is really good at empowering. sad

disahsterdahling Thu 02-Nov-17 10:06:25

What will happen if you simply don't cc them in?

winkletwinkletoes Thu 02-Nov-17 10:12:01

Don't know? Haven't been there long enough to find out.grin

I don't think it's common practice. I do on occasion where appropriate will CC a line manager in but not ever email.

blueshoes Thu 02-Nov-17 11:11:54

OP, if the seniors are insecure and looking for evidence to trip you up, I would suggest finding an escape out of there sooner rather than later.

I find that one of the biggest impediments to women doing a lifestyle role that is beneath their skills and experience are the incumbent middle (and even senior) managers who feel threatened. They often prevent you from being hired in the first place and once in, you are constantly being watched.

You would probably have enjoyed lots more autonomy when you were doing a senior role and not used to more micromanagement at the lower levels. Do you think you can do your seniors' job, maybe even better than them? Perhaps that is why they are insecure ... If someone is looking to find faults, especially in someone new, they probably will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now