Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a change

(20 Posts)
kakamama Wed 01-Nov-17 14:03:29

Hi. I've currently been in my job for 3 years and desperate for a change as I don't see a future in the industry that I'm in and not been given a choice in the area I want to work in, it's either do a or b or leave. I've always thought about working in a doctors surgery as a nurse but wouldn't know where to begin even getting advice on what qualifications I need and what I would need to study. I live in Scotland so it would need to be NHS Scotland so if anyone could give me some ideas this would be really helpful. Thanks

FlowerPot1234 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:11:04

What results do you get when you google this question? All the answers and the route is on the internet, surely?

First port of call, obviously, is the RCN.

kakamama Wed 01-Nov-17 14:20:31

I have looked into this but I'm looking for some friendly mum to mum advice.

FlowerPot1234 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:25:35

Sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt, but I wouldn't know where to begin even getting advice on what qualifications I need and what I would need to study comes across as a bit clueless tbh.

If you have looked into it, I can't understand how you can say you don't know where to begin. What did all the information you already have say to do?

If you can't handle this very first hurdle, do you think you're up to being a nurse?

confused

kakamama Wed 01-Nov-17 14:37:37

I do find you very abrupt actually. I do not appreciate your input!!!

Okay maybe I could of worded it differently but after hours of sitting in front of the computer hunting through lots of different sites for months on end trying to get out my crappy job I thought I'd put a friendly comment on a thread and see what came back to try take a different approach......but what I got was someone knocking my confidence and making me feel stupid. Thanks very much for that I hope you are very proud of yourself!!!

FlowerPot1234 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:45:02

I feel fine about myself thank you. I've even helpfully directed you to the most obvious organisation that would answer all your questions.

Your lack of common sense and demanding nature given given the very, very, very basic first tiny hurdle you have come up against would suggest nursing might not be the right next step for you. You'd have to deal with patients who are a lot more challenging than someone merely asking you what the vast store of answers on the internet tells you. confused Farewell.

kakamama Wed 01-Nov-17 15:07:38

You clearly have nothing better to do with your day than be a sad little keyboard warrior. You have no idea what my situation is and for you to sit behind a computer and be so disrespectful to someone obviously means you are not fine about yourself!!! I will make it as a gp nurse and I will be able to handle patients as I know I'm a good friendly kind natured person that can handle any situation. Feel free not to add any more comments as they will be disregarded.

FlowerPot1234 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:42:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fucky Wed 01-Nov-17 15:46:06

Come on flowerpot people are on here day and night asking questions google could answer

kakamama Wed 01-Nov-17 17:36:13

Don't rise to IT she clearly has nothing better to do with her day than troll people

HundredMilesAnHour Wed 01-Nov-17 21:22:11

I will be able to handle patients as I know I'm a good friendly kind natured person that can handle any situation.

Are you sure? You don't seem to be handling this situation very well.

Here's where you begin:
www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=how+to+become+a+practice+nurse+scotland

AnyFucker Wed 01-Nov-17 22:02:44

Some people should stay in AIBU and never venture anywhere else as they don't seem to have mastered not being a shitty person

DixieNormas Wed 01-Nov-17 22:24:30

It depends, some times you need to have some recent FE so an access course or an nvq, then it's 4 years for a degree in general nursing.

After that I'm not sure , everyone I know has worked in general nursing for a while and then done a course in practice nursing but I don't know if you can do that straight from the nursing degree

Best thing to do would be check with the RCN Scotland

LineysRun Wed 01-Nov-17 22:36:53

Many of our practice 'nurses' are not degree-qualified nurses, they're health support workers. They are incredibly helpful and competent and have their own (supervised) clinics for monitoring patients with chronic illnesses, taking bloods and attending to minor injuries.

I know someone training to do this, although it's in England - but basically two years of FE college and some work experience.

She would love to do a nursing degree one day but unfortunately has not been successful yet in gaining a C in maths at GCSE.

And I agree with AnyFucker btw.

DixieNormas Wed 01-Nov-17 22:41:39

Well yes you could be a hca in a practice but that's not a practice nurse, the same as you can be a hca in maternity unit or anywhere else

Hauntedlobster Wed 01-Nov-17 22:45:19

Don’t know why you’ve had so many dickish comments.

Start by going to some open days and finding out if you actually would like what the job entails.Where in Scotland roughly are you?

Christinayangstwistedsista Wed 01-Nov-17 22:56:52

Have a look at some of the courses at you local college, particularly evening ones. Skills development Scotland are also a good resource

If you are trying to change career completely then try some volunteering to see if yiy enjoy it, your local volunteering centre can help

Ignore the nasties and goodluck

C8H10N4O2 Thu 02-Nov-17 00:00:27

What was that thread a couple of days ago about how lovely and supportive MN was?

OP: I don't know what you need to do nursing in Scotland but when you are unhappy in a job most every other job looks better.

Some volunteering experience in a nursing alliedl area would help you see the day to day work people do in detail.
Also try to analyse what specific features you dislike about your current job. If you can identify a couple of key things which make you unhappy then it will help you to decide what would work for you in the future. It may even enable you to make changes in your current role.
For instance is it the lack of choice/control which you don't like or is it that the choices you have are roles you know you don't enjoy? Is it the people you work with rather than the work itself?

Consider also some professional careers advice - this isn't just for new graduates. An outsider can sometimes be more objective and help you make the right decision before committing to long and expensive training.

Good luck!

allaboutthatsass Fri 03-Nov-17 17:50:37

OP, you need to do more research into what is involved and I do think you need to be less defensive. Its a key characteristic if you are hoping to work in this field.

Also research the qualifications involved. A nurse, whether in a GP surgery or hospital, will need a university degree.

I'm in Scotland, my cousin-in-law is a nurse.

PurpleToeNails Sun 05-Nov-17 18:05:14

Hi kakamama, I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but have you had a chat with any of the nurses in your local GP's practice, or is that something you think you might be able to do?

Searching for NHS Scotland jobs gives a link which can be searched by health board / area, and maybe you'll find job adverts that appeal to you. If so, you could always contact the HR dept, or anyone named in the advert to say it's your dream job, but expect it's some years away, and could they advise how to obtain the necessary qualifications. It may not be advertised as such, but sometimes health care assistants are given training opportunities to study at college first and then go into second year of a nursing degree.

Another idea would be to look at nurse training options at your nearest university, or attend an open day, or contact one or more of the lecturers to arrange a chat. Oh, and funding for nurse training is more favourable in Scotland than in England at present.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now