Talk

Advanced search

Contact during sick leave

(4 Posts)
workworkworkworkwork Wed 01-Nov-17 13:51:48

I'm currently off sick from work (I'm having a difficult pregnancy), I'd like to know how often can your workplace contact you when you're sick? Also are you obliged to answer the phone/respond to emails?

When I'm off sick most of the time I am sleeping all day and do not want to think about work or have "quick meetings" over the phone/email.

Where do you draw the line? if at all.

flowery Wed 01-Nov-17 14:21:30

There isn't a set amount of contact which is or isn't 'allowed'. If the amount you're getting doesn't suit you, let your manager know. Don't answer your phone/look at emails when you are resting.

Are you off sick for a period of time or is this just a day off? The extent to which your employer can cover your work elsewhere will depend on what's actually happening. If you're signed off for a few weeks, obviously they should be putting in place things to manage without you. If you're off for a day or two in the middle of something crucial and there wasn't an ability to hand over to someone else, that's slightly different.

Also the nature of your role. Most very senior people would expect or even seek lots of contact while off, whereas if you are more junior, probably not.

But ultimately, if you're not comfortable with it, tell them that and ask for it to stop.

Dailystuck71 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:28:45

HR at DHs place of work met with him weekly when he was off for 6 weeks earlier this year they also expected calls as soon as he’d been to the GP with an update. It was a pain in the arse and very difficult and stressful but perfectly legal apparently.

Tunapastasalad Wed 01-Nov-17 22:14:26

I would block them! If you are signed off, your are signed off and they should not harass you whilst on sick leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now