Talk

Advanced search

Company changing benefits after handing in notice

(4 Posts)
Bridezilla2be Tue 31-Oct-17 13:10:29

My friend was recently offered a job at a big name company (RM) given the offer over the phone including salary and holiday allowance.

She agreed to it, was sent an email with same salary listed but no mention of holiday.

Handed in her notice in old job so she could start on date requested and has now received the contract with a lower holiday allowance. They have apologised for the error and said the contract stands, what should she do?

Make a fuss (and if so how can she word it and will they be able to revoke the offer?) or just accept the change even though it’s unfair as she gave in her notice on the basis of what was offered? I feel so sorry for her being put in this position sad

LoverOfCake Tue 31-Oct-17 13:14:40

If she is taking the job purely based on the holiday allowance she can obviously turn it down, but if the original offer was made verbally then the contract is the binding agreement and she doesn't have a leg to stand on legally.

Bridezilla2be Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:08

No, the amount told to her originally is actually less than she’s on now (which is why she’s so annoyed by it) but she was taking it anyway as she thought the change would be good for her career.

Does she have any comeback as they’ve admitted they made a mistake? I’ve never worked for a company that expect you to hand in your notice before receiving the contract...seems to leave you open to them being able to back you into a corner.

unfortunateevents Tue 31-Oct-17 18:14:27

No she hasn't got any comeback. Also she didn't have to hand in her notice before receiving the contract. If the new company had a particular start date in mind, it was up to them to get the contract out in a timely fashion in order to allow her to meet that date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now