Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving on.....good experiences and stories

(6 Posts)
Timefortea99 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:42:09

Really hate my job. Hate it. But paralysed with fear about moving on, simply because I feel like work is just shit everywhere nowadays and if I move somewhere it will be different shit somewhere else. My age is also against me getting a new job, butbthat is another issue.

Have you every been in a shit job, but when you moved on it was a totally different and positive experience. Feel very down today, I need some encouraging stories.

ForeverAcrossTheOcean Tue 31-Oct-17 14:32:37

Hi Time. I don’t have any positive stories I left my last job and my current job was great for a while but now it’s really shit and I’m going to leave. I think it’s a bit like relationships, better st the start and then it goes down hill.

Happy to chat if you want to, are there any bits you like about your job? I like doing a certain project which we are no longer going to do, but I know that I like it and will look for similar tasks in my next role. Can you think of things like that then moving on won’t seem so scary.

Bridezilla2be Tue 31-Oct-17 15:30:20

No, have hated all my jobs too (sorry!) but if you hate your current one things can only get better, right? So you (we, I’m looking too) may as well try elsewhere.

The only good thing about previous jobs I’ve had has been the friends I made, that certainly makes the days more bearable. Good luck thlsmile

RC1234 Tue 31-Oct-17 16:52:17

Yes I moved on and found something much better. It depends what is getting you down.

In my case my old work place had changed. A really nasty blame culture had taken root. People taking credit for my work which they had little or nothing to help with. It turned out everyone else knew that redundancy was on the cards and were trying to make themselves look good at all costs. I still loved my job hence I stayed as long as I did hoping that things would pass but it got too much. New place no problems, less pressure and more money! Could it happen again - yes but I think I would see the signs next time and not wait almost until breaking point.

CatherineCookbook Tue 31-Oct-17 18:02:07

I think it depends on several factors. Why do you hate it? Is it the actual work or the people, or the ethos? Can you afford to take a pay cut? Do you want to stay in the same line of work? Are you dependent on a reference from your current employer?

I've been lucky. I stuck it out in toxic environment for 12 years, until I was at the point of a complete breakdown. I didn't do anything sooner because I didn't believe the grass is greener anywhere else. I left the job with nothing to go to and started applying for all sorts of things, mostly with a lower salary. I had enough savings to not work for up to 2 months, but it was a big risk. I now have a fantastic new job, lower paid, but the work is interesting and varied, and I have a great bunch of colleagues and I feel appreciated again I've learned to manage on less money, and my savings are down to £200. But it's been worth it because I can now sleep at night and I'm happy.

Timefortea99 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:32:19

Thanks all. Is is the lack of professionalism, selfishness of colleagues who dump on me and others, a lack of leadership (we don't have one basically, she only lasted a few months, went on sick leave, came back for a few weeks, now resigned), no accountability, no team spirit, diminishing working conditions. I am just worn down. There is no cooperation, apart from a few of us who want to do a good job and we are all in despair. Very senior management don't want to know. They know there are serious problems on our team, but they don't know how to fix it. We need a strong leader who wants to raise our standards, but I don't think we are going to get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now