Talk

Advanced search

Changing mind re flexible working?

(12 Posts)
StayPufftMarshmallowWoman Mon 30-Oct-17 00:30:41

Hi all. I have a quick question please?

If you are given flexible working on a trial period and realise that it's having a negative impact on your department, can you request to resume normal working before the trial period ends?

Mxyzptlk Mon 30-Oct-17 00:34:29

Surely you can request anything. It may not be agreed though.

daisychain01 Mon 30-Oct-17 03:40:53

What negative effect is your FW having?

FormerlyFrikadela01 Mon 30-Oct-17 03:48:17

Surely the whole point of the trial period is to see how workable the arrangement is and if it doesn't work then something else can be arranged.

StayPufftMarshmallowWoman Mon 30-Oct-17 12:35:07

What negative effect is your FW having?

It's mainly standards that have slipped.

My LM told me during the FW meeting that he thought I was downplaying my role but I honestly didn't think it would make much difference as my lost hours were being taken on by someone else (not a manager). Unfortunately, things aren't being completed in the way they should be which is making more work for me when I'm back in.

As it's being monitored, my LM will see the effects (unless I run round like a blue arsed fly to correct them) and I would rather be the first to say it than have him think I'm covering just to get more time off. And I made it clear that if it affected my department I would go back to full time.

I just wasn't sure if I had to wait until the end of the trial period as surely they wouldn't want things to slip for that length of time?

daisychain01 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:59:24

If I were you I’d try to find a way of giving your colleague the knowledge they need to cover the situation. Document the process, book time with them to hand hold, whatever it takes, during the FW trial period

Don’t give up your FW without a fight!

Then show how proactive and competent you are by highlighting that you didnt just throw stuff over the wall at other people or leave them to pick up the slack, but rather you identified the problems and put in xyz solution to make it work.

Does that sound doable for you? If necessary, if you’re up to the wire, only at that point ask for another week/ 10days to have fixed the teething problems

StayPufftMarshmallowWoman Mon 30-Oct-17 13:17:31

Thanks Daisy. I've already spoken to my staff and explained the issues, I think I'm going to have to be more 'specific' though. It's an awkward situation as my LM told me he thought it was important I was there FT and felt I was minimising my role and I disagreed quite strongly! I trusted my staff and praised them highly and now I'm a bit embarrassed that he may have been right. It really comes down to standards slipping when I'm not there so a few more measures in place might work.

Brighteyes27 Mon 30-Oct-17 13:26:26

I would ask for some more time to address the issues. It sounds like you are very conscientious OP and your other maybe a little less so. So your LM going for the easier option by wanting you FT. I wouldn’t give up FW lightly either.

daisychain01 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:42:51

You need to be confident to delegate to your team. If quality is slipping, you shouldn’t have to be there to hand hold. Why not try using specific examples of where quality needs to be improved, without you having to be there on the case. If anything, empower them so they rise to the challenge, that’s what managing the team is about, surely.

elelfrance Mon 30-Oct-17 16:45:27

In your situation, if you have a good relationship with your LM, I'd be as straight up about it as possible, and start discussing what changes need to be made. I would think they would be very receptive & positive about any suggestions coming from you, rather than having to go to you to say the new setup isn't working

StayPufftMarshmallowWoman Tue 31-Oct-17 10:50:26

Thanks for all the replies, I will hold back at going back to FT just yet and see if we can iron out these issues. As usual you all talk a lot of sense star

ForgivenessIsDivine Tue 31-Oct-17 13:59:15

I would also ask for a progress update, let your LM know how it's going... If you are going from full time to 80%, there should be budget to promote someone to lead in your absence, to have someone do a part-time role to take part of the role on board or to promote someone to deputy so they take some of the role from you but you still retain overall responsibility and higher thinking parts of the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now