Talk

Advanced search

10 hours per week contract

(7 Posts)
Fragglewump Sat 28-Oct-17 19:52:19

My daughter 16 at time of starting and now 17 has a pt job at Pizza Hut - she has signed a contract for 10 hours a week and they mess her around all the time. 1 week they messaged her to cancel all her shifts as it was quiet. They also send her home early at least once a week. It’s constant aggravation for £4 ph. At the weekend they split her shifts -so get her to work 12-4 and then 5-9 so she has no choice but to sit unpaid in the staff room. Sometimes they even message her as we are leaving the house to say don’t come in or come in later. I’ve just checked her payslips and they literally pay her for the hours worked so on the worst fortnightly period just 6 hours. Is this allowed? Any suggestions gratefully received.....

Linnet Sat 28-Oct-17 20:16:03

I would have thought that if her contract was for a minimum of 10hours per week she should be getting at least those hours. In catering it's very common to do split shifts on a weekend and it's also common to finish staff early if it's a very quiet night. Does she feel able to insist they give her the 10 hours per week she's supposed to get?

Fragglewump Sat 28-Oct-17 20:21:53

It’s her first job so I think she’s finding her feet and her voice!

zippydoodaar Sun 29-Oct-17 00:10:52

No idea but if she were my daughter I would be telling her to find a new job. It's called valuing yourself.

Redcliff Sun 29-Oct-17 22:02:58

I used to work at pizza hut and other restaurants and all this fairly common. Is her contract for an average of 10 hours a week? I'm assuming that there is some clause in her contract that allows them to drop her hours.

I found retail more stable so I would suggest looking at local shops/supermarkets

Fragglewump Mon 30-Oct-17 06:12:42

Thanks for the advise - I’ll re-read the small print!

Oblomov17 Mon 30-Oct-17 06:45:49

I had no idea pizza hut were so poor. Seriously, it’s disgraceful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now