Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Open plan office hell

(5 Posts)
southeastastra Thu 26-Oct-17 22:02:23

argh

I love my new job but hate the open plan office. I am scared to make phone calls to customers as I am feared of everyone listening to me so I sound like a prat on the phone.

there is so much distraction also, do i join in with the team banter even though i can hardly hear them and when i do have my say they can't hear me as i'm so far away? or shall i just get on with it.

Dairymilkmuncher Thu 26-Oct-17 22:06:24

Are you confident on the phone when they aren't there?

southeastastra Thu 26-Oct-17 22:07:52

yes totally, or even when they aren't all listening when it's quiet. I am new to the job so most of the time don't really know what I'm talking about

Dairymilkmuncher Thu 26-Oct-17 22:20:44

Knowing what you're talking about is the biggest hurdle with phone calls after you've got over that you'll be fine andbwibt care where you are or who can hear but sure they are all busy doing their own jobs and not listening in to you. In one job I had, my manager would sit and watch me speak on the phone. It was horrid at the time but I'm a pro now.

With regards to banter don't purposefully join in just don't dismiss it if you end up involved, right now you've got to learn your job inside out and that's your priority while you're in the office

southeastastra Thu 26-Oct-17 22:27:44

thanks that's great advice i just need to learn the job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now