Advanced search

Deciding whether to move jobs

(1 Post)
CardinalCat Thu 26-Oct-17 12:23:57

background- I'm a corporate lawyer, but I work in a regional city, not London. I had 9 months of mat leave in 2016, and I have an 18 month old. No plans to have a second child.

I am in a massive quandary.

My current firm is one of a handful of 'top' commercial law firms in our city. I am not unhappy at my current firm, but a bit unsettled and I am consistently being held back by one of the partners I work under. The team structure means that I have no realistic prospect of partnership promotion any time soon- probably looking at 5 years minimum when one partner retires, as the market I work in just doesn't have enough growth to justify another partner on top of the existing ones. I also know I am significantly underpaid for what I do and for the income I generate (because my firm has a v conservative pay policy despite being one of the most profitable in the country) but I have been too busy juggling work and motherhood to challenge this (and on behalf of the sisterhood I am really fucking sorry- it is so hard sometimes just to keep afloat.) I also work fairly flexibly (9-5 in the office four days a week, and I log on from home in the evenings if I'm busy, and I work from home one day a week too. obviously for big meetings/ completions, I am in the office with everyone else as late as required that week, and there will be no wfh that week- maybe happens every month or so.) Still, for a corporate/ transactional solicitor this is pretty good going. However, I feel my boss assumes that I'll never move because she sees that I have a 'cushy setup' where I am. This year’s pay increases were terrible across the board and lots of people are disgruntled- thwey are blaming market uncertainty/ brexit.

meanwhile, across the road, I am being wooed by our biggest rival. They have pretty much hinted at a directorship (which is a step up from my current position as senior associate) and a significant pay increase. Still no partnership and I think that would be about 4-5 years, same as where I am just now. Downside is that they have a reputation for being a bit of a sweatshop and I can see my flexible working arrangements going down the shitpan- when I asked them they wouldn't commit to saying I could work in the same pattern as I do now although they said that they did support agile working. They seem like lovely people that I would enjoy working with- but of course, you can never really tell until you're in there, can you? it's a gamble.

I am also being wooed by a much smaller firm. Until recently it was common knowledge that it was in a bit of trouble financially, and was seeking a merger. It seems back on an even keel now, although it is probably less than half the size and stature of my current firm and our rival. However, they are 100% committed to flexible working and are really nice and decent people. I think I'd enjoy working there, and it's close to the station I commute into! I don't think they'd offer me as much money as the rival, maybe just a little more than I'm on now. and there's still no guarantee of partnership (although it would be more likely there, and quicker.) My worry is its financial stability as a firm- I have a mouth to feed. If it was just the shirt on my own back I was worried about, I'd be less concerned. Also, I guess reputationally, it is a 'step down' as it is smaller and less prestigious- I think most of my colleagues and clients would think WTAF is she doing?....

Or maybe I just stay where I am and speak to my boss about my salary expectations.

Urgh. I HATE THIS! Anybody have any wisdom to share?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: