Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Annual leave and bank holidays

(4 Posts)
KitKat1985 Wed 25-Oct-17 16:51:32

Hi all.

Recently was offered a promotion at work (NHS) and they've just sent my new contract through (full time 37.5 hours a week). Previously my annual leave was calculated in hours which was 277.5 a year (working as a nurse, so bank holidays are considered 'normal' working days). My new contract has stated my annual leave allowance as 217.5 hours a year excluding public holidays. However for childcare reasons my regular working hours will be double shifts on a Tuesday and Thursday, and then making up the rest of my hours at the weekend (can be more flexible with this as DH is home to have the kids). So basically given that most bank holidays are on a Monday (or Good Friday), and I don't work these anyway, I will still do my usual full-time number of working hours on a week with a bank holiday in, which I feel is therefore unfair and my annual leave allowance should remain calculated in hours (so 277.5 a year). Can someone clarify where I stand with this? Do I just have to suck it up? Or am I right?

KitKat1985 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:11:12

I should add that if Christmas day / Boxing day / New Years day does fall on one of regular working days then I will be working that day, so I won't be off all bank holidays anyway.

hazelnutlatte Wed 25-Oct-17 17:38:13

They have calculated your leave wrong - just ask them to include the bank hols. If a bank hol does fall on one of your usual days you will then have to book leave for it (presuming you don't actually work it.)
I work in the NHS part time and don't work shifts and my hours are calculated in this way. As I work Mondays and don't work bank holidays it's annoying for me as I have to use up loads of leave on bank holidays, but those who work part time and don't work Mondays do quite well out of it!

KitKat1985 Wed 25-Oct-17 18:06:01

Thank you. I think they've calculated it wrong too. I've e-mailed the HR lady so hopefully will hear back from her tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now