Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cover letter advice needed

(6 Posts)
Cakedoesntjudge Mon 23-Oct-17 17:08:21

I haven't written a cover letter in a couple of years and I am questioning myself.

Am I right in assuming they should be kept fairly concise and offer enough information to get employers interested without laying all your cards on the table?

Katiep0tato Mon 23-Oct-17 19:13:56

IMO a good cover letter should add something beyond the information provided in your CV - why you want that particular job, for example, or to proactively address any ‘gaps’ between their spec and your experience. Concise is good too :-)

FluttershysCutieMark Mon 23-Oct-17 20:14:51

My cover letters are always tailored to the personal specs of the role. The cover letter sells you, the cv provides the evidence IMO.

I always limit mine to one A4 sheet and as the pp highlighted it should cover the areas your cv doesn't.

PennyPent Mon 23-Oct-17 20:24:59

When I read a cover letter, I'm looking for the applicant to ideally point out 2 - 4 reasons why/how their experience matches the requirements of the role. If there are loads of applications, I don't want to have to 'join the dots' myself, I want quick reasons to put an application on the 'look at these first' pile.

Concise, yes - so no waffle, but not so concise as to just be a 'I want this job, please find my CV attached/enclosed'.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if that put all or most of the cards on the table, because the cover letter should attract my attention and (hopefully) make my job easier.

Cakedoesntjudge Mon 23-Oct-17 22:26:25

Thank you everyone smile

I have tailored the ones I've sent out tonight to the firms I've applied to and also highlighted why the skills I have should suit the roles I'm applying for and I stuck to one A4 page max so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed now!

Pennypent out of interest, do you plump for the strictly formal cover letters? I try and stick with formal but I can't help but think that if I had to read cover letter upon cover letter the ones with personality injected into them would stand out.

Obviously I don't mean making it informal as such I mean just being a bit more interesting than "the skills I have are x,y,z and would make me suitable for the role because of 1,2,3...I find this aspect of your company particularly attractive because or bla bla bla" etc etc.

I need to stand out as much as possible because although I am academically qualified I reckon I could sell myself in person at an interview, doing my degree via the OU rather than at a brick uni means I haven't had the opportunity to do any practical experience and it's counting me out before I've started 😫

Cakedoesntjudge Wed 25-Oct-17 21:32:10

Thank you for the advice everyone - I’ve been offered an interview already for one of the jobs I applied for so it obviously did the trick!! Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now