Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

getting back up from my self-imposed "mommy" track ...

(8 Posts)
wellhonestly Mon 23-Oct-17 14:39:22

Hi, when I had my lovely 2 DCs I tried to keep working at my high-responsibility job 3 days a week but got tired of it all - 7 day responsibility, commuting, working late, colleagues unwilling to do without me for 1 day out of the 3 so I could work at home. Etc.

So, I took a less-well-paid job nearer to home, which has suited me better, but now the DCs are almost up and away and I want to get back into something that uses my brain a bit more.

Very limited openings at my current employer - I have applied for a few posts and had interviews sometimes but no dice. They don't really credit me for my past experience as "it's not recent enough" (someone very senior has told me this) and they have only seen me in my more lowly role.

Application forms tend to ask about previous jobs, salary and reasons for leaving. Should I explain in words about my drop in position/ income and why I am looking to get back into a more senior role? Or do I say nothing about it and let them ask me IF I get an interview? The job I am looking at now keeps all personal information away from the selection panel (name/sex/age etc) so would it be foolish of me to mention family-related job choices?

wellhonestly Tue 24-Oct-17 18:02:11

anyone???

LadyLapsang Tue 24-Oct-17 20:10:11

It's a difficult one. In some ways I think women in senior roles who have a (shortish) career break after they have children and do some senior level volunteering do better than women who take a more junior role. The more senior woman can then benefit from a returnship and the credit for where they have got to in their career. If you've been on the 'mummy track' your current role and salary will often be what is considered. How long since you gave up the more senior role? Maybe worth looking for a mentor.

wellhonestly Thu 26-Oct-17 18:54:19

Thanks lady - it's tricky because I had my kids late and I'm past 50 now!

LadyLapsang Sat 28-Oct-17 13:14:26

I'm in my 50s too - I feel your pain. I have heard good things about the Crossing Thresholds course: www.thresholds.co.uk/crossing-thresholds, but it may not be pitched at the right level for you.

Piratesandpants Sat 28-Oct-17 13:21:33

colleagues unwilling to do without me for 1 day out of the 3 so I could work at home

Do you mean that they expected you to be around and available?

CaseStudyResearch Sat 28-Oct-17 13:46:28

What's your background?

My corporate org. and a lot of others, have started doing Career Returner programmes that offer mentoring, coaching and support on varying programme lengths.

Women Returners has some good information and support, plus a list of companies that run similar programmes here

wellhonestly Wed 01-Nov-17 14:03:25

Thanks all -

*Piratesandpants" when I said "unwilling to do without me" I meant "unwilling to do without my physical presence in the office". If working at home I was constantly available via phone and email, but they told the Chair and me that they "missed" me when I wasn't there. I appreciate that working from home 1 day a week swung the balance from being there the greater part of the week (3 days out of 5) to the lesser part of the week (2 days out of 5).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now