Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with NHS work full time - want to just go on bank

(12 Posts)
emzybabble Mon 23-Oct-17 09:03:38

Hi there, I'm really struggling with my work as a HCA on a busy acute med ward in NHS. I'm finding the shift pattern so so difficult, I get like 1 day off a week with my partner and it's awful. I'm stressed and upset over things I've experienced. I've already had 4 sick days off seperarely in my probation, where I've had a warning. I just want to do bank work so I can gain more confidence, have more flexibility and better home life. How do I go about telling my manager? Bank staff have said it's fine to stay on bank instead of contract, just make sure on my termination form my manager keeps me on the bank. Pls help, how do I tell my manger that the ward is not for me but want to stay on bank 😭Xxxxx thank you xxxxx

aprilanne Mon 23-Oct-17 09:08:49

hi i worked for nhs staff bank as hca for 10 years its no problem .its not really anything to do with induvidual wards if you stay on the bank .just tell them full time in that ward is not for you .i probably would,nt go back to that particular ward for a while but apart from that cant see a problem .

emzybabble Mon 23-Oct-17 09:24:07

Thank you!! Aww how come you left? If you don't mind me asking. I just get really worried about telling my manager I want to leave becus I get anxious over what people say. How do I go about handing in notice? Should I email her before hand to discuss it, Via email or paper in envelope?

notacooldad Mon 23-Oct-17 09:28:02

Do you have supervisions?
I work for L.A. and we have to have them every month. I would suggest that would be an ideal time to raise it.
If not just ask for a meeting to discuss your concerns.

emzybabble Mon 23-Oct-17 09:31:14

Hi there, what are supervisions? Do you think I should ask to talk to manager about my job and say I need more flexibility. They will probs need to see me about my recent sick day too tbh xx

IheartNiles Mon 23-Oct-17 09:33:47

Just ask to meet and tell them the truth, you're struggling with shifts and work-home balance, it's making you ill and you'd be better off with the flexibility that bank work offers.

emzybabble Mon 23-Oct-17 09:46:19

Hey, yeah!! Very true. I will email my manager and ask if I can have a chat tomorrow, I will pop in and explain. I don't want to make it sound like I can't cope though, as I want to stay as bank throughout whole trust not just that ward. How can I put the whole thing nicely. Will have to make a plan I think xxx

LostMyBroomstick Mon 23-Oct-17 18:59:43

I am finding working FT in the NHS too much also. I have worked over 20 years in the NHS and it has never been so bad. I work at least 2-3 out of 4 weekends and do late shifts/early shifts and nightshifts in between. I have zero family time and my children are suffering. I have started suffering myself - and I have never, ever had this in all of my years in the NHS. It's mental! The NHS really need to get a grip on things. Lots of staff have left and I'm planning my escape - professional role that they are already struggling to recruit into. Shame :-(

P0ndLife Mon 23-Oct-17 19:23:48

Hi sounds like bank would be perfect for you!
Only thing to note is you don't go up the pay scales for bank service. When I went back to a substantive post after full time bank I was back on the same increment as on my last substantive post, despite the year of (full time equivalent) bank work in between.

I wouldn't say the ward is stressing you, maybe say you need more control of your off duty for family reasons?

emzybabble Wed 25-Oct-17 17:47:45

Omg that is so so worrying! You are a star for being in it for so long. It is so scary when do you see how it is on frontline. I wish the best for you in future! I have successfully transferred to bank post and am working my month notice now! Xx

emzybabble Wed 25-Oct-17 17:49:03

Thank you for letting me know! That's abit strange. I've successfully transferred to bank post now, thanks for all ur tips and advice. Just need to work my months notice then I'm free to choose when I can work!
Yippieee xxxx

jay95 Wed 25-Oct-17 18:18:51

The NHS or the string of governments that have played ball with it need to get a grip?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now