Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disgusting "poppy" hernia 😝

(19 Posts)
Piggyinthemidriff Mon 23-Oct-17 08:14:18

I've got one I'm afraid. It's easy to push back in but frankly it's horrible, and according to my GP I could do with having my abdominal wall mended. She reckons I have diastasis re cti where your abdominal wall splits and doesn't knit back together, after a 10lb baby and Polyhydromnious with DC1. I would have to go private as it's not yet bad enough to get on NHS, which is just about doable, but work for the NHS and I'm unsure whether I would have to use all my AL for the time off or whether I am able to be off sick so to speak. If it's "elective" does that count?? Sorry to waffle. Thanks.

PurplePillowCase Mon 23-Oct-17 08:16:07

I would say it's sick leave - signed off by a dr.

Piggyinthemidriff Mon 23-Oct-17 08:17:28

Thanks purple

ScarletBegonia1234 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:23:47

I had elective ankle surgery using bupa policy and took normal paid sick leave

Piggyinthemidriff Mon 23-Oct-17 09:21:14

Scarlett, thanks. Did you prepare your employer in advance? Were they ok about it?

ScarletBegonia1234 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:02:36

They were fine. I'm not even sure I gave them that much detail...it was a long time ago but I just told them I was having an operation I think...whether it is elective or not i don't think you'll need to disclose!

FadedRed Mon 23-Oct-17 19:07:06

Sick leave, it's necessary surgery.
Did your GP tell you it's 'not bad enough' to warrant NHS surgery? If just GP's opinion, I would ask for a surgical referral anyway.
Do you do work that requires 'lifting and handling'? If yes, then talk to your Occupational Health Dept.

yumchoc Mon 23-Oct-17 19:34:33

Have you tried going through occupational health it may save you going private

welshweasel Mon 23-Oct-17 19:36:31

Definitely use sick leave! Do your research though, very few surgeons will operate on diastasis recti (with good reason) and results are mixed.

Groovee Mon 23-Oct-17 19:38:52

Sick leave. Just say it’s surgery and you need the time off. Think you self certify for 1 week then your GP will sign you off x

C0untDucku1a Mon 23-Oct-17 19:39:32

I had this surgery this year. I also had a ten pounder! It was on the nhs but in a private hospital. My feiend went with the same complaint two months later and was told it was no longer available on the NHS. No idea if that is the case everywhere but by god she was annoyed... with her dr and me!

Oh im public sector and i got two weeks sick leave.

LittleWingSoul Mon 23-Oct-17 19:59:40

I also had a hernia repair last Xmas. I was able to pop it in until one weekend it got stuck and I was in agony... once that happened to be fair the ball rolled pretty quickly, saw my GP who referred me to a&e with a letter and I would have had surgery the same day but for a stonking cold, but it was all done and dusted within 2 weeks. I think once it happens (i.e. gets stuck) it escalates to an emergency situ pretty quickly. So repair is necessary.

Now I'm pregnant again it's popped up in a new spot!

insancerre Tue 24-Oct-17 06:24:50

Do you get sick pay?
Where I work we only get SSP so it would be better for me to use annual leave or I would be out of pocket

Piggyinthemidriff Tue 24-Oct-17 07:29:48

Thanks for the responses, yes I have a very physical job (A & E) and do get sick pay, but hadn't thought about speaking to occy health. Little wing and countduck, what was the recovery like?

LittleWingSoul Tue 24-Oct-17 14:12:02

A couple of weeks recovery I'd say. 3 days taking it very easy but shuffling around. On my feet the rest of the time. The heaviest thing I would have had to lift was a 2 year old though, I imagine you are up against a lot more in A&E!

C0untDucku1a Tue 24-Oct-17 22:21:46

Couple of days of barely moving. Needed husband to help me
Up off sofa. It is amazing how often you use your stomach muscles to move! I watched the entire series of 13 reasons why 24 hours. Had two weeks off.

LittleWingSoul Wed 25-Oct-17 19:46:17

I agree... And If you've had a cesarean you'll be fine, it's not as bad as that!

Also watched the entire first series of Mr Robot whilst bed ridden after the hernia op!

Babyroobs Thu 26-Oct-17 21:41:27

One of my work collegues had a cosmetic breast reduction and had about 4 months of sick so I would say it should be sick time.

Piggyinthemidriff Mon 30-Oct-17 06:58:35

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now