Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2 maternity leave max

(6 Posts)
fia101 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:13:33

My boss was talking about a consultant in another company and as she talked about exclaimed “she must’ve had 3 maternity leaves with company x” as though this was horrendous.

Made me think - do employers generally expect a max of two kids and maternity leaves on their watch? Anything over that (on their watch) will be used against you

NorthernLurker Sun 22-Oct-17 18:54:50

Well the stats on the impact of pregnancy and motherhood on your career are well known. It shouldn't surprise you. If you take a year each time then three mat leaves IS a long time away from the workplace.

fia101 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:45:59

Average leave in my place is 6 months.

flowery Sun 22-Oct-17 20:41:58

It's wrong but having seen it, women who take multiple maternity leaves with the same company can be sort of 'written off' as being permanently either on maternity leave, about to go on maternity leave or just back off maternity leave.

If you take 3 maternity leaves of a year each, with 9 months between, you're looking at more than 5 years of a disrupted, is-she-here-or-is-she-not career. Hard to establish yourself/ develop professionally when that's the case.

fia101 Mon 23-Oct-17 01:51:27

I know what you mean but seems somewhat unfair if you spend your whole career (until 65) working full time with one company that your record is always blighted.

flowery Mon 23-Oct-17 10:17:19

I wouldn't say that. If you stay somewhere another 30 years after all your maternity leaves your record won't be "always blighted".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now