Talk

Advanced search

New employer changed PT hours

(5 Posts)
redannie118 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:16:31

Hi
I started a new job 4 weeks ago. There were several positions available, some full time some pt. I asked for one of the pt positions for 25hrs , agreed during the interview process with 2 seperate managers these hours would be spread over 3 days (as i had this in place with my previous employer)i have a long term chronic illness and i need the days off to recover and manage my mulitiple hospital and gp app-again i made my employer fully aware of this during interview process. All was good and i was assured they were desperate for pt workers. I was told i would work 1 saturday in 5 and work one week out of 4 on late shift (till 8)i agreed-got my contract and began 4 weeks ago.
I have been working full time for the last 4 weeks in training and was due to start my pt shifts on monday. I was pulled into the office and told my pt hours were not workable and if i wanted 25 hours i had to do 5 hr per day every day, one week early shift(8-1) and one week late (3-8) alternating and 1 saturday in 3. Istated this was no good for me-5 hrs per day plus mý travelling time would mean i would be working pretty much full time hours. I stated my disability status and said if i had been told this during the interview process i would never have accepted the job.i also stated that i told them i needed the days off to attend my hospital and gps appointments. At this point i was told if i took time off i would not get paid and would have to make the time up as well. Do i have a leg to stand on here employment wise or is my only choice to leave? My contract states 25 hours pw but does not stipulate days or how it is split?
Sorry for length-thanks for reading !

ivykaty44 Sun 22-Oct-17 14:22:06

How do they know now 4 weeks later that this isn’t workable if you have never actually worked the hours they agreed to at interview?

It’s a really shut way to treat someone

Have no idea if you gave any redress

retirednow Sun 22-Oct-17 15:56:41

So they agreed verbally to your request then decided that your requested hours don't suit them. You could call HR department if you want to for their advice, are your hours and requests protected because of your disability, if so that would make a difference. If they still don't agree to the original request then perhaps you just leave and get a job where the managers honour their word. You have to think do you really want to be working with this company, what happens if they just keep changing the rules. Next time it's probably a good idea to state your requests in writing and present it on your application form or at your interview.

redannie118 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:51:02

Thanks for replies. I didnt get it in writing (more fool me)although the 25 hrs is stated in my contract. I did get in touch with the HR who stated pt hrs were at management discression.its a large multi-national company who make a huge song and dance about supporting the workforce . Im already looking for another job, but mentally its effected me badly-to the point that my gp put me on prozac this week

retirednow Sun 22-Oct-17 18:56:01

Good luck with job hunting, don't let it worry you too much, they don't sound like they are worth worryabout. Hope you get paid for your training days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now