Talk

Advanced search

please help me say this in a professional manner

(16 Posts)
BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 15:41:00

Once a year we are asked to give (anonymous) feedback to our direct peers at work.

I have recently moved to a new location and I know that everyone in the team is included in a WhatsApp group, except me. I am the only foreigner on the team (I am on foreign assignment) - it is possible that they are excluding me due to language, although I am able to understand broadly (and there is always google translate)

Two of my direct peers have asked me for feedback and I would like to include a comment about being more inclusive in the "opportunities" section, without sounding sorry for myself.

Can anyone think of a constructive way of saying this?

CotswoldStrife Fri 20-Oct-17 15:48:15

Hmm, that's tricky because if you mention being left out and you are the only one then it is identifying! Do you know if the group discuss work or is it more of a social one?

BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 15:54:53

CotswoldStrife, whatever I write will be identifying because I am likely to be the only one providing feedback in English --- and anyway my grasp of the local language is not enough to "get away" with writing in this language . They'd know it's me either way.

I would guess that it's a mix of work related jokes, little moans and social events (like outings for lunch). If they do go out often someone will remember me and ask,

I don't think anyone is "deliberately" excluding me, I would bet they don't see an issue

BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 16:35:05

Is this too vague?

"Consider ensuring individual team members are not excluded."

TheClacksAreDown Fri 20-Oct-17 17:29:48

Have you actually asked to join the group?

BubblesBuddy Fri 20-Oct-17 17:34:08

"Ensure that all members are welcomed into the team so they feel comfortable and included". Not sure there is a way of saying it nicely!

MrsWobble3 Fri 20-Oct-17 17:40:34

Can you make it positive rather than negative - something like 'consider how best to help new colleagues integrate considering language and cultural differences'

I think avoiding any suggestion of exclusion makes it less accusatory.

BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 18:43:04

BubblesBuddy and MrsWobble3 I really like your suggestions, and the approach to word it positively.

TheClacksAreDown no -- the only reason I know is because one of my colleagues had a message pop up on his phone when he sat next to me, and he quickly hid the screen. I would feel very awkward and embarrassed asking to be added.

CandleLit Fri 20-Oct-17 18:53:28

Just ask to be included. If they otherwise include you in stuff, then it might raise eyebrows if you give this feedback based on one tiny thing (which is possibly not even work related if it is purely social/a colleague initiated it without any direction from a manager).

PuppyMonkey Fri 20-Oct-17 19:00:54

I wouldn't click what you were talking about with the suggestions so far.confused

You could play ignorant and say: "Why don't we start a WhatsApp group for discussing team matters informally?"

BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 22:26:25

PuppyMonkey there is already a WhatsApp group for everyone including the managers.

BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 22:28:29

CandleLit I guess it doesn't feel tiny to me. We are probably around 15 people and even people who have joined the team after me have been added. I can't say for sure everyone is on it because I haven't seen the group list, but I have seen people be added. sad

Veterinari Fri 20-Oct-17 22:28:32

PuppyMonkey there is already a WhatsApp group for everyone including the managers.

Hence Puppymonkey’s suggestion to ‘play ignorant’

BendyBusBuggy Fri 20-Oct-17 22:29:45

Veterinari there are already two groups - one I am included in and one I'm not.

EBearhug Sat 21-Oct-17 00:19:58

there are already two groups - one I am included in and one I'm not.

Yes, but you can suggest that they create one that covers the group you're not part of, and this should prompt someone to say, we already have that group, we'll just add you. Unless they know you know it already exists, in which case, suggesting it would look passive aggressive rather than innocent.

PuppyMonkey Sat 21-Oct-17 09:45:33

I know there is a group, but if you play ignorant they may realise it's mean that you're not included at the moment and invite you to join them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now