loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paid time off for booking appointment??

(8 Posts)
ziggymarl Wed 18-Oct-17 13:53:13

Hi guys!

Need advice.

I've just told my boss this morning that I am pregnant. Earlier than I would like as I am suffering badly with morning sickness.

However- my boss is difficult when it comes to getting time off in general but now that I have told him, am I entitled to getting time off (just an afternoon) to attend my booking appointment? Or does this not count as antenatal? I've read something online that I need a certificate, but i don't apparently get that till I'm 20 weeks, which is a while away..
Essentially I want to say that I need an afternoon off next week (usually you need to give two weeks notice) to attend my booking but I want to know if i have a strong leg to stand on..

First pregnancy so not sure! confused

buttonmoonb4tea Wed 18-Oct-17 14:54:44

You're entitled to time off for any pregnancy related appointments as far as I'm aware. You're employer can ask for proof e.g. Appointment card or letter.

Congratulations by the way and hope the morning sickness goes soon flowers

YellowMakesMeSmile Wed 18-Oct-17 17:47:34

You are allowed paid time off for the appointment plus travel time to and from.

Unless you have a large commute, it usually means popping out for the appointment and returning after rather than taking the afternoon off for a ten minute appointment.

StylishDuck Wed 18-Oct-17 17:51:02

My work lets me go to my appointment then work from home for the rest of the day. Would this be a possibility? Takes me about half an hour to 40 mins to drive from my work to the hospital so if my appointment is in the afternoon it’s not worth going all the way back to work after.

But, yes you are absolutely allowed time off for all antenatal appointments and an appointment card or letter should be proof enough for your boss.

LML83 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:54:05

My booking in appointment was about an hour. Regular midwife appointments were ten mins.

Bruceishavingfish Wed 18-Oct-17 18:00:44

At our work you would be given all afternoon off. We would try and look at your commute and take that into account.

ziggymarl Wed 18-Oct-17 19:18:29

Thank you everybody for your replies! So helpful.

My commute to my hospital from my work is 1hr. Appointment is at 3pm and I've been told booking appt is about 1-2 hours. By the time I get back it would be past 6.

Im sure future midwife appointments in the middle of the day is fine to pop out and in but think I am going to ask for the afternoon off. I've already changed the appointment because boss wouldn't give me time off previously (before he knew I was pregnant)

It's a stickler but I'll get through it 💪🏽

StylishDuck Wed 18-Oct-17 21:48:36

If your appointment is at 3pm and your commute is an hour you would be perfectly entitled to finish at 1.45ish for the day and not need to use any annual leave. You are allowed time off by law regardless of how “inconvenient” it is to your boss. Don’t allow him to guilt you into using annual wave for this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now