Talk

Advanced search

Any good companies to review a CV/moving public to private sector?

(3 Posts)
genericname Tue 17-Oct-17 00:17:25

Just that really. I'm looking for a new job and am worried my CV isn't very good. I always ask recruitment agencies for feedback but I'm not sure if they'll bother or will actually just not put me forward for anything if it's crap! Any recommendations?

I'd like to try and move from a professional role in the public sector to private sector so really need to sell myself. I have good skills but am worried they'll be under appreciated... any tips?

Thanks

HashtagTired Tue 17-Oct-17 01:52:19

Meet with the agency. Build rapport with the agent. Make them like you and remember you in a good way! It helps to have them in your corner. It’s a people business after all!

As for your CV, it depends on the career you are after but generally speaking:
- keep to 2 pages if you can
- make it relevant. Adjust it for each job you apply for ensuring that the skills required for the job are easily spotted in your CV
- don’t waffle too much. Bullet lists are helpful.
- the front page is the most important imho. Like a newspaper, keep the important stuff on there. If they want to read more they can look at page two! For example, it’s common to see contact details and address etc on the top of page one taking up loads of space. For me, it put that under a ‘contact information’ header at the bottom of page two. If they want to contact you they can look there. Use the front page to highlight your skills.
- if appropriate use a small paragraph/statement to summarise your skills and experience that are relevant to the job you are applying for.

Good luck!

daisychain01 Tue 17-Oct-17 06:40:46

Don’t bother listing every single job since you left school.

If you’ve had lots of short term jobs before a longer term job of say 5 years + consider grouping them into a category like “3 short term accounting assignments to build my experience. It uses 1-2 lines but adds value to your overall profile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now