Talk

Advanced search

Who should share/keep tips?

(6 Posts)
Twinkie1 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:11:39

Bloody teens and part time jobs!

DD has a new job. When she got the job, as a bus person in a restaurant, she assumed (yes I know ass you and me and all that) she’d get her hourly rate plus tips.

The system in this particular restaurant works like this:

The diner writes their order on a pad, takes it to a till and the waiter inputs the order into a computerised till/order system.

When drinks are ready bus person takes out drinks.

When food is ready bus person takes order to table, asks if they want condiments or anything else deals with this.

Waiter goes to table after allotted time asks if they want any more drinks, inputs this in a machine and the bar staff deal with making drinks, bus person takes out drinks.

Waiter clears table to bus station when food eaten, bus person then scrapes of any uneaten food and puts cutlery etc in dishwasher.

Waiter asks if any more desserts or drinks are required, again puts into system and bus person takes out drinks/desserts.

Waiter deals with making up bill and takes payment.

Now all tips are only shared between bar staff and waiting staff. Bus person doesn’t get anything.

We frequent this restaurant and was not aware that this system exists, the bus person does, it seems the majority of the work but gets none of the tips left.

Is this legal? I know DD was an idiot to assume she’d receive tips but it seems to be very unfair and it’s really not worth her doing the job once she has figured in travel.

Have searched for tipping laws and it does seem that it’s entirely up to the restaurant but I’m sure the clientele would be shocked that the youngsters aren’t getting a share of what is left.

Twinkie1 Thu 12-Oct-17 21:17:34

Anyone?

flowery Thu 12-Oct-17 22:17:44

Perfectly legal, yes. Restaurants run various tip systems, and as long as they don't discriminate unlawfully and pay everyone at least minimum wage, that's fine.

Iamcheeseman Thu 12-Oct-17 22:24:19

I have a friend who is a 'chef' in a chain restaurant and worked in others. I've place she worked all tips are put in a pot and split equally between all staff. In another establishment waiting staff have to give a certain amount of money per customer they have seen in that shift to the kitchen who split that money. That does mean that the waiting staff can end up having to give money to the kitchen from their own pocket if they aren't tipped. I found this outrageous.
I don't tip anymore.

Twinkie1 Fri 13-Oct-17 05:22:54

Seems bloody unfair though Flowery that just because your call bus person you don’t get anything but do the majority of the work. If they were honest with their clientele I doubt so many would be generous at the end of the night.

Twinkie1 Fri 13-Oct-17 05:23:41

I’m not going to tip at restaurants without finding out the exact way tops are shared out from now on lamcheeseman

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now